[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - More oil talk! (color tags dont work in topics)
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

More oil talk! (color tags dont work in topics)

More oil talk! (color tags dont work in topics)

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:41 pm

I was wondering how long of an interval (in months not miles) oil should be changed? I have 2002 v6 that spends most of it's time in the garage. It's more of a toy than an everyday driver. Can I still wait for 3000 mi or should I change it every so many months? It could take me 6-7 mo to put 3000-4000 miles on! Thanks for the advice in advance. :)

Postby Gunman » Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:18 pm

same here, i always go every three months, and they look at me cause it only has a few more miles on it, oh well it makes me feel better, as does buying anything. :)
Solara's "official" handsome guy.
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 4banger » Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:48 pm

At my work we have lot of small engines for generators and pumps. We have to change the oil in them every few months regardless of engine hours.
Silver '99 Solara SE 4cyl.
4banger
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: [color=red]More oil talk![/color]

Postby Flipside909 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:I was wondering how long of an interval (in months not miles) oil should be changed? I have 2002 v6 that spends most of it's time in the garage. It's more of a toy than an everyday driver. Can I still wait for 3000 mi or should I change it every so many months? It could take me 6-7 mo to put 3000-4000 miles on! Thanks for the advice in advance. :)

If your car sits, it would be best to change out the oil on a month cycle instead of mileage. As your engine sits, water will condense in the oil. That's why you get a little bit of white/clear smoke on cold startups from time to time.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby NaptownSolara » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:02 am

Maintenance manual says 3-5 months.
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Silver
Alpine/Kicker audio system
NaptownSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: [color=red]More oil talk![/color]

Postby Yanks0114 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:59 pm

Flipside909 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I was wondering how long of an interval (in months not miles) oil should be changed? I have 2002 v6 that spends most of it's time in the garage. It's more of a toy than an everyday driver. Can I still wait for 3000 mi or should I change it every so many months? It could take me 6-7 mo to put 3000-4000 miles on! Thanks for the advice in advance. :)

If your car sits, it would be best to change out the oil on a month cycle instead of mileage. As your engine sits, water will condense in the oil. That's why you get a little bit of white/clear smoke on cold startups from time to time.

And that also leads to sludge . When you let your car sit you get water and then if you don't run your car long enough, it doesn't heat up enough to burn all the water off
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Missay » Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:14 pm

it's taken be since april 2nd to put almost 4k on the car, but i waited from april to october to do the first oil change (didn't realize it was that long)...end of jan i'm gonna change the oil tho. i'd rather spend the extra couple of bucks than risk the sludging. (i mean, if i really wanted to be cheap i could just go buy some oil at lappens and do it myself)
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:40 pm

With the oil so clean, is there a sure shot way of telling if they really changed it? some dealers don't let you watch!

oil

Postby DavPak » Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:38 am

Anonymous wrote:With the oil so clean, is there a sure shot way of telling if they really changed it? some dealers don't let you watch!

yes there is, you can put a mark on your oil filter (with nail polish or something). when you get your car back, check to see if the filter has been changed. if it wasn't, then your oil was probably not changed either.
'02 Solara S/C'ed V6 5-spd
DavPak
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby 4banger » Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:03 am

Anonymous wrote:With the oil so clean, is there a sure shot way of telling if they really changed it? some dealers don't let you watch!

even if you haven't been running your car much, the oil should still be black. So if it comes up looking new (translucent amber) on the dip stick right after you get it changed you'll know they've changed the oil.
Silver '99 Solara SE 4cyl.
4banger
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5