[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - potential starter problem??
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

potential starter problem??

potential starter problem??

Postby Missay » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:09 pm

i always over-react when i hear or feel anything weird w/ my car, but..what do you guys think.

it's only happened twice so far, but when i started the car it made a really gross sharp pitch noise like the sound a starter makes when someone turns the key too far.

i know i didn't turn the key too far, i just started it easy like i usually do, but for some reason it sounded like the starter was just grinding.

of course, like the brake light, luv wouldn't make the noise when i repeated started the car and turned it off for my father to hear.....sigh

he thinks it might be a sign that the starter could be hinting that it's ready to go....grrr..i hope he's wrong, i don't wanna pay for that!!

i have almost 42k..should a starter go out that soon!!
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Whatever » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:48 pm

hmmm... i dont' have that kind of problem, and i never heard any body has problem with the starter..... :-?
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Gunman » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:52 am

its starting to stick miss. check it out. be on the safe side
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby NASTY » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:03 pm

sure the car wasnt already on when you started it :lol:
it is pretty quiet...
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby onefiend » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:30 pm

yeah Ive made the mistake of turning the car on while it was already on. The Solara is very qiuet with the windows up. Ive done this twice to my baby. :cry:
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: potential starter problem??

Postby Flipside909 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:09 pm

Missay wrote:
i have almost 42k..should a starter go out that soon!!

That's too soon. It could be a defective starter if so. It's fairly easy to remove the starter. A rebuilt starter should cost around $200 and $300 or more for a brand new one. Most rebuilts have a lifetime warranty if you get it from Autozone, Kragen and etc.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Missay » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:07 pm

NASTY wrote:sure the car wasnt already on when you started it :lol:
it is pretty quiet...

no, it was off. the first time i was leaving work and the second time i was leaving somewhere..i can't remember. but it was off..it hasn't done it again, so i'm hoping luv just had a 2night cold!
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Kenn157 » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:07 am

My 88 Camry made that noise every once-in-awhile. So did my moms. Sometimes even a 2nd or 3rd time when trying to start. Then months would go by without any problem. I didnt have it check but it wouldnt do any harm to bring it into the dealer.
Had a 99 Solara SE V6. Had a 06 Tacoma. Now I have a 2008 Camry SE V6
Kenn157
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

probably not the starter

Postby atlantasolara » Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:44 am

hi. i've had mechanics regularly recommending a starter replacement when it was only a defective battery that was causing problems. note that the starter is used only for one second max each time you start the car, probably totaling less than 10 seconds of use per day on average !

what does go wrong with the starter, and this happens only after repeated starter use over a long period of time, is a smaller part inside called the solenoid. but we're talking here of about 120k or so miles or 6 plus years of daily use by, say, a courier who shuts off and cranks the engine for each of his 30 daily stops.

i'd have the battery, cables and all terminals/connections checked first before doing anything with the starter.
atlantasolara

Postby Gunman » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:31 pm

didnt you have a front end accident on that car miss?
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Missay » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:52 pm

Gunman wrote:didnt you have a front end accident on that car miss?

yea, it was the passenger's side front...opposite of the battery. the website on my profile is the before/after pics

i'm wondering if you guys are right about the battery. every now and then the lights and interiors have been dimming at night inside the car. i was afraid that the battery was going, but it's started every morning i've had the car like a good, little toyota always does!! (although i have set up a lot of jump starts the past couple of weeks for 00 toyota camrys) watch me jinx myself and the car won't start in the morning!!
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Gunman » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:57 pm

have em go over the connection from the alt to the battery. how bad was the impact?
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Missay » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:42 pm

Gunman wrote:have em go over the connection from the alt to the battery. how bad was the impact?

it damage wasn't that bad, but the impact was hard enough for me! it happened so fast, i don't remember most of it now, i really have blocked most of it from my memory..i just remember "that feeling"..o god..that's the worst feeling.

after slamming on the brakes going 30-35, i was probably going 25ish when i hit her head on..i'm just guessing though..it could have been a lot more or less..probably about 30ish at most.

i would have had a lot less damage if that stupid suv wasn't so much bigger and didn't have killer metal bumpers!!
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Whatever » Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:18 pm

i can't even feel it when my car's engin is on, yesterday my brother ask me "why don't you start the engin?" hehehe :lol:
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Missay » Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:18 pm

Hey wrote:i can't even feel it when my car's engin is on, yesterday my brother ask me "why don't you start the engin?" hehehe :lol:

i don't understand it...when i test drove my car it was so quiet, i didn't even know it was on..now it seems to be so noisy. when it started sounding gross it was like exactly the 91st day after buying the car..and of course my used car warranty was for 90days..lol

i think i got the difficult solara on the lot. hahah..luv has been giving me tons of little headaches lately...but, hey, she's running no matter what!!
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5