[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Does the Solara have a chip in the keys?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Does the Solara have a chip in the keys?

Does the Solara have a chip in the keys?

Postby guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:08 pm

I actually took apart my key (the rubber part) and it looks like there is a chip in there. Don't ask me why but I was bored.

got it straight from the dealers mouth

Postby papaae » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:15 pm

Yes there is an immobilizer chip in each key so unless you want to spend like $70 bucks to replace one not to mention the labor.. have fun..
Of course the labor thing only apply if you lose both keys because they have to reprogram the enitre key.
Hopefully you have the one that can open the door and nothing else.. if you lost that one you are screwed.
The Best Car I've ever owned....
papaae
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Yanks0114 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:28 pm

Depends on what year your solara is. You should be able to get the key copied and reprogrammed for around $25 at any local hardware store, but i still dont reccomend taking it apart. My dad owns a hardware store so i am aware of all the tricks, but the safest way to know if you have a chip is to take it to a hardware store and they should have a little chip detector.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby impactX » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:27 pm

For your info, the "chip" is only a resistor :)
impactX

Postby Missay » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:31 pm

you definitely don't wanna lose your immobliser key...you'd have to get the car towed to the dealer and it's around $70buck or more for the key(most hondas are around $40 bucks, but i've seen some land rovers as high as $250!)
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Gunman » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:36 pm

resistor? are you refering to a VATS system, toyota uses a transponder system, where a chip in built into the key and is energized by the ring in the key cycl. the very same way that two magnets react when placed next to each other. once this happens, a code is read off the key and transmitted to the ecm, which at that point unlocks the fuel system, allowing your car to start, very effective and eliminates the need for remotes where the battery could die, transponders dont require em. thats if you were wondering of course :o
Solara's "official" handsome guy.
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Gunman » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:37 pm

a mercedes type key is over 300 :roll:
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Missay » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:43 pm

that's crazy...good thing our solara is around 70ish.

for goodness sakes people!! find out if you have an immboliser/transponder key BEFORE you have a problem....i hate people who lose their keys and don't know if they have one..and of course it's always after hours when the dealer is closed, and most people don't know what the hell it is so they usually can't guess. (usually if you have a big key it's a sign you have one..if you have black or grey key is a sign too)
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Gunman » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:49 pm

wow, very good miss, but the black and grey refers to chrysler, the casing around the toyota key is quite large, you can tell by that
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby krook » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:56 pm

yep, it's a transponder in the chip. . .
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Missay » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:10 pm

Gunman wrote:wow, very good miss, but the black and grey refers to chrysler, the casing around the toyota key is quite large, you can tell by that

lol..what two years of towing people b/c of stupidity will do to ya!!

oh..another thing..copy your key code and save it!!
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby ericatdallas » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:28 pm

Yeah, I have my key code in several places just in case.

A resistor? I don't think so. What makes you say that?
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

So what is the difference between our key and a lexus key?

Postby guest » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:00 am

I noticed the lexus key is laser cut internally.

Re: So what is the difference between our key and a lexus ke

Postby Flipside909 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:39 am

guest wrote:I noticed the lexus key is laser cut internally.

It's been that way since 1990 or when it was first introduced in 1989 as a 90 model.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Yanks0114 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:43 pm

The lexus is actually a router cut key. The toyota keys are $20 if you goto a local hardware store, and Gunman is correct, its an immoblizer system that is almost 100% effective. The main/only way to steal our cars with the RS3000/3200 alarm is to put them on a flatbed truck and drill out the key cylinder. GM used to use Vats and/or Passlock I and II which was just a precise resistor. Again we have transponders which is part of the immobilizer system
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5