[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Oil Change
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Oil Change

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:10 pm

krooked Solara wrote:btw, anybody change their own oil??? i looked in my owner's manual to see if i'm tuggin' on the right bolt to drain my oil pan, but it doesn't say. i asked about this earlier, but no one replied. anyway, i got it changed by some wannabe Jiffy Lube place, and when they were done, i tried to see if i could remove the bolt that i was trying to get off, but it was still stuck!

the bolt i'm trying to remove is tigher than a 12 year old!Image
ewww j/k

am i messin' with the wrong bolt??

The problem with going to jiffy lube places is they use an impact wrench to tighten the bolt. That means a lot more torque on that fastener than it's spec to do meaning potentially stripped threads and a PITA to get out.

I change my own oil but I haven't been under my solara. It's usually in the center and the fastener is usually (as far as I've seen) perpendicular to the ground.

Have somoene show it to you on another vechicle and you should recognize it quick unless the Solara is different but I doubt it.

It's hard for me to explain (maybe someone else can do better) b ut onec you've seen one you've seen them all.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:48 am

I usually let Toyota do my oil changes if I don't do it myself. I usually have a coupon for $19.95 or $22.95. Anything higher than that, I usually do it myself.

About 15 to 20 mins, 4.5 Quarts of Castrol GTX and a Toyota Oil Filter and a socket wrench is all I need.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Whatever » Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:58 pm

i do oil change by myself too. :D :D :D :D
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jaimster » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:12 pm

Hey Flipside, you have a 4 cyl.? :D
Yeah, I've owned 2 Solaras so.............................Image
Jaimster
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Missay » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:50 pm

Solara1 wrote:Hey Flipside, you have a 4 cyl.? :D

flip..buy a 4cyl?? i highly doubt it...this is a no nonsense v6 man!! :evilbat:
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby ericatdallas » Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:58 am

Solara1 wrote:Hey Flipside, you have a 4 cyl.? :D

What makes you think he has a 4 cyl? I think the V6 has an oil capacity of 5.0qts but the 4 cyl. has I think 3.5 qts (don't remember).
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Flipside909 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:22 am

Missay wrote:
flip..buy a 4cyl?? i highly doubt it...this is a no nonsense v6 man!! :evilbat:

Damn right! Someone hasn't been paying attention. LOL
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Flipside909 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:24 am

ericatdallas wrote:I think the V6 has an oil capacity of 5.0qts but the 4 cyl. has I think 3.5 qts (don't remember).

Actually it's 4.5. People always fill it 5 quarts BUT that's why people start seeing oil leaks at the valve cover gasket after 50K miles, specifically in the front corners of the seals.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby redsolara » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:52 pm

Yeah, the dealer puts this sticker on what day i should come back or at 3k miles later but after seeing this post im just going to do this like every 4k miles
Red Solara*Red Solara*Red Solara*Red Solara
redsolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ericatdallas » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:24 am

redsolara wrote:Yeah, the dealer puts this sticker on what day i should come back or at 3k miles later but after seeing this post im just going to do this like every 4k miles

if it's under warranty shouldn't you do what the dealer says? Otherwise they'll say you didn't follow recommended service if soemthing happens to your engine. It's not likely anything will happen to your engine anyway, but oil is cheap.

In fact, I was looking at the Solara and the oil is very easy to change versus other cars I've seen. The oil filter is on the top under the hood in an easily accessible section.

Of course, my first oil change will be this week or next week, in 600 more miles, and I might say differently then but I doubt it.
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Flipside909 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:12 pm

ericatdallas wrote:
redsolara wrote:
In fact, I was looking at the Solara and the oil is very easy to change versus other cars I've seen. The oil filter is on the top under the hood in an easily accessible section.

My biggest pet peeve of the 1MZ-FE engine design (applies to EVERY model the 1MZ is used in) is how the filter sits above the engine mount. No matter what you do, oil will get all over the mount. The only temporary solution is to put a bunch of towels under the filter as soon as you spin it off. The other is to just wipe around that area very well after you are done.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby ericatdallas » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:10 pm

Flipside909 wrote:
My biggest pet peeve of the 1MZ-FE engine design (applies to EVERY model the 1MZ is used in) is how the filter sits above the engine mount. No matter what you do, oil will get all over the mount. The only temporary solution is to put a bunch of towels under the filter as soon as you spin it off. The other is to just wipe around that area very well after you are done.

Yah, I considered that as a possibility. But my last car had it towards the center and it was under the hood. It leaked oil in an impossible to clean section versus an easy to reach section in the Solara.

An option that I saw to this would be to install a remote oil filter. Don't know how well those work or if it's even worth it though.
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sLoSoLaRa2k2 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:27 pm

i take mine down to toyota since i get free oil change there~ :D
¤=- esther -=¤
sLoSoLaRa2k2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ericatdallas » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:02 am

Mine is free too, but I don't like the idea of cheap stuff going into my car and some idiot in a rush doing it too.
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:19 pm

i change mine every 2500 miles, especially now that I'm running the S/C!
$12 every 2500 miles is nothing and i don't mind doing it either. Mekes me feel better.

PreviousNext

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5