[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Moonroof wind deflector
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Moonroof wind deflector

Moonroof wind deflector

Postby jdscott » Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:22 pm

I'm thinking of installing the wind defletor on an '01 Solara. Can anyone tell me how effective they are at reducing wind noise, particularly with the moonroof tilted up?
jdscott

Re: Moonroof wind deflector

Postby droomyster » Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:29 pm

jdscott wrote:I'm thinking of installing the wind defletor on an '01 Solara. Can anyone tell me how effective they are at reducing wind noise, particularly with the moonroof tilted up?

i've never sat in a car without one, so i don't have something really to go by. but i just wanted to let you know, that at about 70-80mph, you still get noise. i don't know how much noise that is compared to not having the wind deflector. i hardly ever tilt my moonroof unless i'm just going down the street because it is loud on the highway.

just my thoughts on the subject. i guess, if possible ride in a car with the deflector and you'll really be able to tell without having to spend the $150 ( i think that is how much they are )
droomyster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:19 pm

I think the noise reduction is significant. I don't use mine much but the main reason why I didn't use the moonroof in my lsat car was it was noisy and it didn't provide much air. I had the moonroof opened tonight and I didn't hear it except on the highway.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Flipside909 » Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:41 am

ericatdallas wrote:I think the noise reduction is significant. I don't use mine much but the main reason why I didn't use the moonroof in my lsat car was it was noisy and it didn't provide much air. I had the moonroof opened tonight and I didn't hear it except on the highway.

You get MORE noise with a wind deflector. The moonroof already has a built in guide/deflector that automatically pops up when you open up the moonroof. It's pointless to get a wind deflector unless you want more noise. The aerodynamics of the Solara's roofline isn't optimal for quietness. It's quieter than some other cars...but not as quiet as a Celica's per se.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Missay » Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:32 am

i don't quite understand the purpose of a wind deflector. my car doesn't have one, and my friend's car does..and there's no difference at all!! the only difference i've noticed is that if i'm at the right angle then the sun will shoot right into the car, whereas sometimes the deflector blocks just a little bit of it.

like i said, i don't have one on my car and i can't hear anything driving except normal outside noise, like w/ the windows open..even then, it's min. the hgwy is the only time it's EXTREMELY noisy :P !
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby ericatdallas » Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:40 pm

I don't even keep my windows open on the highway, the wind is too strong and it bothers me.
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:14 pm

ericatdallas wrote:I don't even keep my windows open on the highway, the wind is too strong and it bothers me.

yea, i can't drive when there's wind in my eyes! plus it just irritates me and makes me cranky when my hair is getting blown in my face and stuff :-? lol..i really don't know how people can drive convertibles. i luv the way they look, but i would NEVER want to own one! i even hate riding in them..i just like looking at them!
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby ericatdallas » Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:19 am

Convertibles aren't so bad as long as you don't go over 30mph..

Btw, as a test, I drove down the highway with my moonroof opened and it was fine. It sounds like if you have a window cracked opened on the side. I know my last car was DEFINITELY MUCH LOUDER so I'm starting to believe the deflector makes a difference regardless of what anyone else says :)
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5