[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Should i install a Moonroof?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Should i install a Moonroof?

Should i install a Moonroof?

Postby Lohmansolara » Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:06 pm

When i financed my 2000 Toyota Solara it did not come with a moonroof,
i now realized that i messed up not getting the moonroof. I want to install one in my solara at this one place that does only moonroof installing they quoted me at a very well price and they said that the specialize in installing moonroofs on any car. But i was told that if i install a moonroof from a street shop instead of directly from the dealer that it can affect my roof and cave in my roof or water can leak due to incorrect installation and incorrect precise setting on the roof, can anyone give me some advice because i want a moonroof and the dealer is asking way way way too much to install one,,, Thanks.
Lohmansolara

Postby droomyster » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:12 am

my family had a moonroof installed by the dealer after purchasing the car. it turns out that there is a warranty stipulation that you have to get the moonroof serviced every so often to keep it under warranty. after about 4 years, the moonroof started leaking and we had to pay money to the dealership to get it fixed. we had the car serviced at the dealership for oil changes, brakes, and the works often and nothing was mentioned about the moon roof. so just make sure you check the warranty work, because it _will_ leak almost guaranteed after so many years if you don't get it checked/worked on routinely.
droomyster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NaptownSolara » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:53 am

It is a common occurance that aftermarket moonrooves leak and for what it's worth, consumer reports advises against installing a moonroof aftermarket. I'd only do it if you're not afraid to get wet once in a while.

John

droomyster wrote:my family had a moonroof installed by the dealer after purchasing the car. it turns out that there is a warranty stipulation that you have to get the moonroof serviced every so often to keep it under warranty. after about 4 years, the moonroof started leaking and we had to pay money to the dealership to get it fixed. we had the car serviced at the dealership for oil changes, brakes, and the works often and nothing was mentioned about the moon roof. so just make sure you check the warranty work, because it _will_ leak almost guaranteed after so many years if you don't get it checked/worked on routinely.
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Silver
Alpine/Kicker audio system
NaptownSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SmokInDaSolara » Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:18 pm

I guess I'm not going to get a moonroof either.
SmokInDaSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

moonroof

Postby solaralohman » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:41 pm

Thanks for the tips, im decided and im not getting the moonroof but, my next car will have one.
solaralohman

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:15 pm

I rarely use my moonroof. It doesn't really let a lot of air in. I've had one for my previous two cars and rarely do I open it.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:54 am

ericatdallas wrote:I rarely use my moonroof.

really??? i luv the moonroof! how can you not use it??! haha..maybe it's just b/c i've always grown up in a house where everyone bought the lowest trim level car that never had a sunroof. having a fully loaded car i feel so spoiled and use the extras every chance i get!! if you paid for it and you like it..then you might as well use it!!

do you really think it doesn't let a lot of air in?? it won't give you a breeze or anything, but it definitely keeps the car cool and the air circulating..or at least i think it does :)
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby NaptownSolara » Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:30 pm

haha I'm the same way, I was so psyched up about having a moonroof I haven't driven once yet (except in the rain) without opening the moonroof. The only thing I don't like is when the sun shines through it and glares off the inside of my sunglasses.

john

Missay wrote:really??? i luv the moonroof! how can you not use it??! haha..maybe it's just b/c i've always grown up in a house where everyone bought the lowest trim level car that never had a sunroof. having a fully loaded car i feel so spoiled and use the extras every chance i get!! if you paid for it and you like it..then you might as well use it!!

do you really think it doesn't let a lot of air in?? it won't give you a breeze or anything, but it definitely keeps the car cool and the air circulating..or at least i think it does :)
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Silver
Alpine/Kicker audio system
NaptownSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby i20solara02i » Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:22 am

Missay wrote:really??? i luv the moonroof! how can you not use it??! haha..maybe it's just b/c i've always grown up in a house where everyone bought the lowest trim level car that never had a sunroof. having a fully loaded car i feel so spoiled and use the extras every chance i get!! if you paid for it and you like it..then you might as well use it!!

i wish i had a moon roof too, i was thinking of getting it done too but lots of people i asked and a friend that owns a body shop told me that it would be expensive n would leak whenever it rains so im hoping for whatever car i get next would have moon roof love playing with the eletronic stuff in the car :) plus it look nice when the moon roof is up
version 3.0 complete 302 hp 303 tq stay tuned for 3.01 (meth installed, now needs to get it tune)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOTi2NPNIA
i20solara02i
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ericatdallas » Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:49 pm

Missay wrote:
ericatdallas wrote:I rarely use my moonroof.

really??? i luv the moonroof! how can you not use it??! haha..maybe it's just b/c i've always grown up in a house where everyone bought the lowest trim level car that never had a sunroof. having a fully loaded car i feel so spoiled and use the extras every chance i get!! if you paid for it and you like it..then you might as well use it!!

yeah, it doesn't let a lot of air in. I think it might help people in the backseat, but certainly not in the front. I don't feel it really or at least I didn't when I was testing my wind deflector for noise for the other thread.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:21 pm

well, ya, it definitely doesn't let a breeze in, but i think that it seems to keep the air fresh and circulated. 8)
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Best part of a moonroof....

Postby Jess689 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:49 am

When you have long hair (like I do) and you close your hair in the moonroof and try to get out of the car. :angel:
Jess689
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Best part of a moonroof....

Postby Missay » Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:35 am

Jess689 wrote:When you have long hair (like I do) and you close your hair in the moonroof and try to get out of the car. :angel:

OMG!!! ouuuuuuucccccchhhh!!!!!!!
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Jess689 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:13 pm

Do you have short hair Missay? Or am I just dumb for having this problem? hahaha

I got my hair cut on the weekend, so...no problems yet :P
Jess689
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Missay » Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:20 pm

i used to have my hair down past the middle of my back, but i like to keep it a little longer than shoulder length now (w/ that stupid long layer-w/ preppy razor blade edges..ewww..lol...grr..that is totally off topic..i'm not going there..i'm still upset!) anyways...i've nver gotten my hair stuck in the sunroof, but you always get that random hair pulled out every now and then w/ the window when you roll it up! ouch! that's the one bad thing about long hair...

is it short enough now that it doesn't get stuck?

i'm sure this is a topic a lot of solaraguys can relate to..lol
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5