[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Lug Nut "KEY"???? Help
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Lug Nut "KEY"???? Help

Lug Nut "KEY"???? Help

Postby SuzyQ » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:10 pm

I went to get my tires rotated and the guy at the shop wanted the wheel-lock "key" This is a new one. I purchased this vehicle used about 6 months ago (very pretty, 1999, black, 5-speed SEV6) Any ideas? Apparently you need a special "key" to remove one of the lug nuts from each wheel. Do I have one stashed in the car somewhere or do I need to go to the dealer and spend the $50 they quoted for the key. Any info is appreciated.
SuzyQ

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:27 pm

I think the car had wheel locks... (key to unlock a nut from each so people don't steal your rims)

The guy that sold it to you should have provided it... =\
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Re: Lug Nut "KEY"???? Help

Postby Flipside909 » Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:02 pm

SuzyQ wrote:I went to get my tires rotated and the guy at the shop wanted the wheel-lock "key" This is a new one. I purchased this vehicle used about 6 months ago (very pretty, 1999, black, 5-speed SEV6) Any ideas? Apparently you need a special "key" to remove one of the lug nuts from each wheel. Do I have one stashed in the car somewhere or do I need to go to the dealer and spend the $50 they quoted for the key. Any info is appreciated.

If they are Toyota wheel locks, all Toyota dealers have the master set to every one they have. Usually the previous owner would give the key lock or tell you where it's at. You may want to take a look in the glovebox, or even the trunk (tire well where the tire is stored) for the keylock. Otherwise, you will need to get a new key.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Where else would I get it?

Postby SKYravefever » Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:54 pm

When I bought my TRD rims, they gave me a set of McGard ones. Do you think the dealer would have the key? What if I loose mine?
SKYravefever
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Where else would I get it?

Postby Flipside909 » Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:55 pm

SKYravefever wrote:When I bought my TRD rims, they gave me a set of McGard ones. Do you think the dealer would have the key? What if I loose mine?

Yes, Toyota uses McGard. They should have the master set of keys if you were to accidentally lose yours. That happened with the Avalon I was driving before. They ordered me a new one.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: Where else would I get it?

Postby guest » Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:14 pm

SKYravefever wrote:When I bought my TRD rims, they gave me a set of McGard ones. Do you think the dealer would have the key? What if I loose mine?

you can call McGard direct to get a replacement wheel lock key..costs about 15-25 dollars

Postby Missay » Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:45 pm

locking lug nuts are great for security but suck otherwise. so many people don't realize they have them on their car until they get a flat tire and "surprise!" ..they can't change the tire! unless the dealer can get you a key you'd have to tow it, not the best. some dealers are pretty strict w/ their master lug nut key and won't let it leave. if you can buy it directly like someone mentioned that might be a good idea. they definitely should have given you the key when you bought the car. sometimes you'll find it tossed in w/ the spare tire and tools.
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Jay » Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:37 pm

When I had my Mustang, locks came with it..(I had the factory 17" rims..)
I didn't even know I had it until I got a flat... But then when I dug out the wrench, the key was attached to it!

I think they are worth it especially if you have a fancy factory rims or custom rims... I've seen some pictures of Mustangs sitting on the 4 center blocks without rims and tires...
Jay
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:44 pm

SuzyQ, have you searched the car top to bottom to see if you have the locking lug wrench?? like jay said, it was attached to the wrench. i'd just hate to see you pay for it when chances are it's hidden somewhere in the car. if you haven't searched yet, i'd check the glovebox (i'm sure you already know it's not in there!), the trunk, the spare, and the tools. you never know, it might be there! i have so many customers find the key in the most random places! :D
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:02 pm

Hey, what does this key look like?
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:57 am

as far as i know it's just a small piece used to get the lug nut off. usually w/ locking lug nuts there's one lug nut that's different w/ from the rest. the other 4 will be the standard lugs that you can get off w/ the standard tools, but the last lug nut isn't shaped like the others...like one side might be at a different angle.
The good part is that someone can't steal the tires easily unless they have the key..the bad part is exactly what suzyq and jay mentioned! if you look at the lugs on the car you should be able to see if you have them or not.
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Fairlite » Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:25 am

Missay wrote:as far as i know it's just a small piece used to get the lug nut off. usually w/ locking lug nuts there's one lug nut that's different w/ from the rest. the other 4 will be the standard lugs that you can get off w/ the standard tools, but the last lug nut isn't shaped like the others...like one side might be at a different angle.
The good part is that someone can't steal the tires easily unless they have the key..the bad part is exactly what suzyq and jay mentioned! if you look at the lugs on the car you should be able to see if you have them or not.

It is ussually in the trunk Take out the rugs etc, and it is in a plastic holder right under the Cardboard wheel well cover. if you tilt the straight up it will be on the right hand side. It looks like a lug nut with one of those funky round keys with ridges around it.
Fairlite
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jim F » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:27 pm

Here's a picture of what the keys look like:

http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/wl_keys.html

Hope this helps.
Jim F
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Whatever » Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:32 am

hmm.... sorry i know it's kinda dumb, but i still wanna know when should i do my tires rotation?? cuz my solara is about 2k miles, and i'm thinking about change the oil at 3k miles. :roll: :scatter: :rocol: :n00b:
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ericatdallas » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:11 am

Way too early to rotate your tires.

you should rotate every 6k miles or every other oil change.

but I like the effort! This ladies and gentlemen is someone that cares!

:)
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5