[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - ANNOYING Security System
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

ANNOYING Security System

ANNOYING Security System

Postby Jess689 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:05 am

Hi everyone! I recently had a security system installed at my local Toyota dealer. I had it done 2 weeks ago and since then the alarm has "randomly" gone off about 5 times. This always happens in the middle of the night and I know its not anyone trying to break into it because I live on a private drive and my bedroom window overlooks my car.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem because I'm getting tired of waking up in the middle of the night to shut the alarm off. Is this some sort of glitch that I should have them fix? Or does it happen with all alarms?

Thanks for your help!
Jess689
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NASTY » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:27 am

i think its pretty obvious that its not normal for a car alarm to go off randomly...get it checked out
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby krook » Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:35 pm

unfortunetly, if the system that was installed was a Toyota security system, then the alarm may have some "gliches". it's real hit and miss with factory security systems: some people have no problem with them for the entire life of the car, while others usually end up ditchin' the factory and getting aftermarket alarm due to false alarms. IMO, aftermarkets are better in that they give you impact protection (triggers when glass is broken) versus the factory which will only trigger if a door is physically opened and/or the ignition is started without "disarming" the system first.

the way i see it, you can either go back to toyota to have them fix it, or you can go back to them to have them refund your money and look into an aftermarket system. as NASTY said, alarms just don't randomly go off. in any case, refer back to toyota since they are the ones who presented this problem to you in the first place.

(that's my long-winded $0.02) :roll:
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby droomyster » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:11 pm

is it the rs3000 security system? i had that installed by the dealership the week i bought my car.

and actually, a few months after buying my car, i was at a friend's house inside just watching tv. i heard an alarm go off and it happen to be mine. so i turned it off, and just thought it was a fluke or whatever. about an hour later, i was at my parents' house, and the same thing happened. i don't know what triggered it. it hasn't happened since that night which was almost a year ago, so i haven't thought about it.

and if this is the rs3000, as far as i know, it does have the broken glass sensor.
droomyster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Annoying Alarm

Postby CTRamsden » Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:03 am

I got the sec system upgrade with my '02 and it's entirely too sensitive.

When a car parks next to me it goes off. It also goes off randomly at night, but it could be due to animals around the area.
CTRamsden
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Annoying Alarm

Postby aleath » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:35 pm

CTRamsden wrote:I got the sec system upgrade with my '02 and it's entirely too sensitive.

When a car parks next to me it goes off. It also goes off randomly at night, but it could be due to animals around the area.

You should go to the dealer and get them to adjust the glass breakage sensor. All they have to do is turn a screw to make it less sensitive, five minutes top.
Silver 02 Solara SE V6
aleath
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Gunman » Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:32 pm

Gee do I get this one alot. The first thing you have to realize is that 99%of all dealers sub contract out that type of work because its much more cost effective. The typical shop buys a alarm for about 40 dollars and charges anywhere from 100 to 150 installed on the cars. This installer in now under alot of pressure to ''bang'' out as many alarms in one day as humanly possible leading to many mistakes. I can reassure you the the sloppiest and worst installs I ever seen, came straight from the dealer. Now the most typical cause of Late night alerts are week batteries. Some times in their rush to get some done to fast a loose connection resuts where two wires that shouldnt be touching are and keep the unit on, where it shouldnt. Once the battery drops below a certain voltage it will trip and go in alert mode. Thats usually why after a few hours and the alarm is too active the voltage drop occurs several hours later usually late at night. So bring it back and have the battery measured for execisive voltage draw when the iginiton is off :evilbat:
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

So far so good

Postby Jess689 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:46 am

Well, my alarm hasn't gone off since I last posted <knock on wood>.

Do you all have the garage door opener holder or the sunglass holder. I have the garage door one, but I don't have a garage door. I called the dealer and asked for the sunglass holder option, but they didn't have any in my color. :(

What do you all have?
Jess689
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: So far so good

Postby droomyster » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:04 am

Jess689 wrote:Well, my alarm hasn't gone off since I last posted <knock on wood>.

Do you all have the garage door opener holder or the sunglass holder. I have the garage door one, but I don't have a garage door. I called the dealer and asked for the sunglass holder option, but they didn't have any in my color. :(

What do you all have?

i have the sunglass holder. in fact, the dealer that walked me thru my car, asked if i had a garage, and he swapped it out for me. he was even nice even to program my radio for me. so there are nice dealers out there! :)
droomyster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: So far so good

Postby Jess689 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:47 am

droomyster wrote:i have the sunglass holder. in fact, the dealer that walked me thru my car, asked if i had a garage, and he swapped it out for me. he was even nice even to program my radio for me. so there are nice dealers out there! :)

Wow, that is nice! My dealer programmed one channel for me, does that count?

I wasn't even aware of the sunglass holder until a Rav-4 owner told me about it. The dealer has them in ivory, but of course, my interior is charcoal. They said I can keep calling back and checking their inventory until they get them in. :roll:
Jess689
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby c2g » Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:15 am

im waiting for the sunglass holder too i still keep my sunglasses up their though they fit fine
99 silverstream SE V6 18" RSL nengans, Streetglow head and fog lights, Reverse guages,
Kicker L7 12" DVC, MTX amp, panasonic 903U, sirius, shaved emblems, clear corners,
altezza tails, K&N filter, mesh upper & lower grill so far
c2g
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jess689 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:14 pm

Good idea, I'll try that today.
Jess689
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jess689 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:31 am

c2g wrote:im waiting for the sunglass holder too i still keep my sunglasses up their though they fit fine

Went to the dealer today and talked to this really cool guy there. I said how I wanted a sunglass holder, but they didn't have any in stock. He went to a car on the lot and ripped it out for me!!!!! :D
Jess689
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby droomyster » Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:34 am

Jess689 wrote:Went to the dealer today and talked to this really cool guy there. I said how I wanted a sunglass holder, but they didn't have any in stock. He went to a car on the lot and ripped it out for me!!!!! :D

benefits of being a girl? or just a nice dealer? :D
droomyster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jess689 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:43 am

droomyster wrote:
Jess689 wrote:Went to the dealer today and talked to this really cool guy there. I said how I wanted a sunglass holder, but they didn't have any in stock. He went to a car on the lot and ripped it out for me!!!!! :D

benefits of being a girl? or just a nice dealer? :D

Hahah, probably a little of both. Try winking at the dealer next time you need something. :wink:
Jess689
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5