[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - brake problems
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

brake problems

brake problems

Postby gom01 » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:21 pm

I have a brake question... a week after I bought my car i started to feel and hear these grinding noises in my front brakes. I went to the dealer and they said that my brakes were cracked and they replaced it for free. A month after, my brakes started to squeek again so I went back and they said they wont do nothing about it cuz they just changed it and it just might be brake dust. The squeeking has been going on for the past 3 months and I was just wondering what you guys think I should do... Should I buy better brake pads? What do you guys reccomend I should do, if it is the brake dust, how can I get it off? The squeeking is driving me insane... sorry if its a stupid questions... thanks for all your help again...
gom01
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: brake problems

Postby NaptownSolara » Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:34 am

Could you describe the problem a little more? Is the squeaking constant or intermittent? Does it happen just at first, or throughout your drive? Is it coming from both rotors or just one? etc...
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Silver
Alpine/Kicker audio system
NaptownSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gom01 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:08 pm

the brakes start squeeking right when I press on the brakes and sometimes in the middle, it's loud at first and then it fades away when I fully stop, the sound comes from my front rotors, I dont have any problems with my back brakes... The brakes squeeke every time I brake... It;s very annoying and I dont know what to do, I dont know if it is just brake dust or what, all I know is that I dont want it to be like my dads problem, he had to replace both of his front rotors and it was bank, I hope this helped... thanks...
gom01
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jay » Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:10 pm

Try to wash it at the power car wash place. Try to get rid of the brake dust... Or buy some brake cleaners and spray them..
Jay
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ericatdallas » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:05 pm

If they replaced it and there is still noise it's still obviously their problem. ESP. since it cracked the first time. It could be brake dust, but they should be checking to make sure it is. What if it's something odd and serious. I would get a fax number and tell them to fax a letter denying your request for service and tell them it's the fax number for your lawyer :) At the very least, you have a written confirmation of them denying you service and your family can go court happy on them if you die. As if that's consolation...

Ask for the service manager, then GM or Dealer (owner) they HATE hearing complaints from customers that a problem was NOT fixed the first time around.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NaptownSolara » Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:22 am

I'm not too certain what that would be. It's possible that it's brake dust, but a good car washing should take care of that. If you've done that and it's still squeaking, it could be warped/cracked rotors, damaged calipers, bad brake pads... a whole host of things. I'd get on the dealer's butt about it. (*BAD PUN ALERT*) The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say (/*BAD PUN ALERT*).

John
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Silver
Alpine/Kicker audio system
NaptownSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ericatdallas » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:19 pm

Hey! Found this!

Q: I just had my front brakes replaced and now I notice a squeal when braking?

A: Several things may cause that condition. If you did not go to a Toyota dealer then the brake material may not be correct for the vehicle. If you went to a dealer they used Toyota approved front pads and this can also be the problem. Toyota in a effort to keep repair costs down have gone in the last year to a domestic source and sometimes these result in a squeaking condition. Toyota parts are guaranteed for 12 months and the dealer can apply a liquid that will reduce the noise. This is not a safety problem just annoying.

http://www.yotarepair.com/Brakes.html#Brake%20squealing
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5