[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Oil Change
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Oil Change

Postby Whatever » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:11 am

Solara1 wrote:3000 miles is optimal! I'm kinda late, I'm at 4000 miles. First oil change is due....hmmm will do today! :roll:

3000 miles for the first time?? how about second time??
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ericatdallas » Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:58 am

Second time should be 3k too or whatever the minimum specified by the owners manual.

It won't hurt to make the first oil change at 1k miles and it's cheap. Might as well do it.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:19 am

Hey wrote:
Solara1 wrote:3000 miles is optimal! I'm kinda late, I'm at 4000 miles. First oil change is due....hmmm will do today! :roll:

3000 miles for the first time?? how about second time??

The second and third and etc...use the 3000-4000k mile rule of thumb. You will be okay.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Whatever » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:53 am

thanks for the answer..
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NASTY » Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:12 am

i change every 5000...
its what toyota reccomends
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Flipside909 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:40 pm

NASTY wrote:i change every 5000...
its what toyota reccomends

3750 for severe conditions.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:07 pm

wow, I changed my oil today and it got everywhere. That was just a really bad place to put the oil filter. It was easy to access though, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. But this was the first time I was under my car, and it seemed to have built up some grime from previous oil changes.

The guy/gal before me didn't change his oil much. Inside, there was a lot of goop in my engine. It was pretty bad in there. Maybe I should run my oil in extremely severe condition intervals (every 1000-2000 miles) just to have the oil's detergent take out some of it.

Hate to think the previous owner didn't take care of J. Lo :(
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:15 pm

Oh, another thing on oil filters. We had a discussion on oil filters in class. My instructor says that some of those fancy expensive oil filters may actually cause harm. What happens is, if they have smaller pores, they end up restricting more flow and it blows a backup valve or something and you end up cycling unfiltered oil. He mentioned a study where they found cars using these filters were infact, doing that. He says you shuold pick a filter that keeps a good balance of filtering particles and keeping good flow. The best bet would be to buy the OEM filter.

He says, if it'll filter out anything smaller than .002 in. then it'll work just fine. (I think that was the particle size he mentioned).

He mentioned air filters too. He said, the same thing. More filtering material, the more you reduce flow.

Just passing it on for FYI if you cared or didn't already know.
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:27 pm

i just always get the cheap filters in the orange box..is the brand 'fram'?? i don't know..i just look up the car in the handy dandy book..find the # box..and bingo..works for me!!
filters on a college budget...beautiful.
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:31 pm

I think I'm going to avoid Fram and spent an extra $1 on STP. I bought a Bosch this time around at $3 over the STP and I find out on a web site that they're made by the same company so probably the same filter too. Oh well. I know better next time.
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5