[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - is solara a luxury car ???
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

is solara a luxury car ???

luxury
70%
not luxury
30%

Total votes : 63

is solara a luxury car ???

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:36 am

It's the poor man's JZZ30 =P
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby TheTamago » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:48 am

My Gen1 was my very own car for my time in college. Very benefical when you finally get your own wheels. Especially when you get some good comments when you get your buddies riding in with ya and saying how damn spacious for a slightly small coupe size sedan.

Wish mine was a V6 to enjoy the more HP but i think i'll be serious later and check out that rippmodds s/c for the 5s I4s. Bit off topic but time to get back into topic. Definately a entry level luxury sports.
[b]AZ TO HI Dis Egg Can Roll[/b][IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/THeTamago/Idol-Car-Pose.jpg[/IMG]
TheTamago
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby DatSRBoi » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:28 am

AMEN Bro.... :drinking:

My friends be all hitting up integras (which I love Tegs so props) which is quick but when driving it long hours, it can be a biach. While my solara which is decent is comfortable. I agree it is luxury and smooth for realz. Smooth by day, Sleeper by night.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Astro » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:04 am

Personally, I don't feel all that much luxury in my Solara. But, in Junest's convertible it's screams luxury. I don't feel the sportiness until I hit the gas.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Smoothro » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:24 am

I do think that it is an entry level luxury car. I think the Solara makes a good combination of sportiness and luxury. A lot of people are surprised when they get in my SLE and see how spacious the interior is, especially the back seat.
Smoothro
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby HKSV6SLE » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:21 pm

not reallly luxury .....good but not luxury. :drinking:
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby DatSRBoi » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:55 pm

Ok Ok how about this...Its an over average car that isnt count as a sport car making your insurance low for an almost luxury car
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Rudy » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:00 pm

look at the percentage of auto vs manuals sold.

Add the fact that you can't get a convertible in manual.

Add the fact it's a toyota camry

It's a luxury car, sorry yall.
99 Solara V6 5SPD
Rudy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: is solara a luxury car ???

Postby mvrk85 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 am

I noticed an issue with the power seat tilting, if I tilt the front seat, it works as expected, the front seat goes up and the back seat stays as is.

However, if I try to tilt the back part of the seat up, the front part of the seat moves up with it, almost like I'm just ajusting the seat height??

Does you camry do this?? I can't seem to adjust the seat to a comfortable position, my 2000 Toyota Solara doesn't have this issue and has more thick padding for the seats - I agree with some people the newer camry seat is not comfortable for long trips..
mvrk85
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TLMNICK » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:53 am

The solara is a very entry level luxury car. Especially the SLE models that are only auto. If the gen1 was a real luxury car, it would've come with power passenger seats, heated seats, power trunk release, steering wheel mounted radio controls, one-touch windows (up, and down)...and a convertible top that locks, and unlocks itself instead of you having to latch it manually.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SpeedySolara » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:15 pm

TLMNICK wrote:The solara is a very entry level luxury car. Especially the SLE models that are only auto. If the gen1 was a real luxury car, it would've come with power passenger seats, heated seats, power trunk release, steering wheel mounted radio controls, one-touch windows (up, and down)...and a convertible top that locks, and unlocks itself instead of you having to latch it manually.

The gen 1.5 had heated seats in the SLE models & came standard with trunk release in both the SE/SLE models. The SLE is hands down an entry level luxury car with standard options like digital climate control, auto dimming rearview mirror, heated side mirrors, traction control, & thats just to name a few. The SE's didn't fall far behind as they were pretty well equipped too. Finally, the fact that the Solara came standard with PW, PL, PM, PS, tilt, DRL, fogs, cruise control, & features like rear cup holders, map/auxiliary light, & an extra outlet even on their most basic 4 banger really says something about where the Solara stands in luxury terms. No one said the Solara was a Bentley or equivalent but for everything its got, it can easily wear the Lexus badge & not fall short of being an entry level luxury coupe.

On a side note, someone correct me if I was misinformed years ago by the Toyota dealership. I was told the SE trim stood for "Sport Edition" & the SLE trim stood "Sport Luxury Edition." If this holds true, then Toyota already set the standard & labeled the car accordingly.
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re:

Postby jimmm » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:32 am

SolaraT wrote:I do think the SLE is semi luxury especially with them navi systems.

Depends on what you consider luxury. I think eating at Red Lobster is Luxurious! :lol:

Bottom line. If you don't get hit with a luxury tax when you buy the car then it is not luxury car. i.e. Acura TL requires that tax. Then comes the gas guzzler tax if you got them monster power v8 cars. i.e. Cobra.

When I think Luxury I think... Lexus, Acura, Infinity, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln.

All good answers to this question; nonetheless, this one is my favorite, especially the part about the luxury tax.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jimmm » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:22 pm

SpeedySolara wrote:On a side note, someone correct me if I was misinformed years ago by the Toyota dealership. I was told the SE trim stood for "Sport Edition" & the SLE trim stood "Sport Luxury Edition." If this holds true, then Toyota already set the standard & labeled the car accordingly.

On second thought, I like Speedy's answer too. After all, when you compare my 2004 Solara SLE to this White 2005 Lexus ES300, the resemblance is quite noticeable. In fact, my Solara has been mistakened for a Lexus many times.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby EkiMucH » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:00 pm

jimmm wrote:On second thought, I like Speedy's answer too. After all, when you compare my 2004 Solara SLE to this White 2005 Lexus ES300, the resemblance is quite noticeable. In fact, my Solara has been mistakened for a Lexus many times.

When I took my car to the body shop for repairs the owner immediately wrote down Lexus for the make of the vehicle. I didn't correct him till we got back into the office when he was checking on the quote. Other people have thought the same as well and one kid was trying to make fun of me by saying is that your parents car lol, but nope it's all from my own money kiddo.
EkiMucH
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jimmm » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:59 am

^Exactly, EkiMucH. I've always appreciated this picture that SoLarry posted a year ago in September 2010 also:

jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5