[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Newbie question
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Newbie question

Newbie question

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:02 pm

hello all,
i recently purchased a 99 solara, nice car im likin it ore and more each day. being the newbie that i am i have some questions for you expert solara guys and gals
- my seat rocks back and forth every time i accelerate ot brake, what is the solution to this problem?
- everytime i start driving the car in the morning i get a really loud clunking noise from all around, sounds like a bad strut is this common and how do i fix it?
well thats it for now thanks for the help!

Re: Newbie question

Postby ericatdallas » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:04 pm

Anonymous wrote:hello all,
i recently purchased a 99 solara, nice car im likin it ore and more each day. being the newbie that i am i have some questions for you expert solara guys and gals
- my seat rocks back and forth every time i accelerate ot brake, what is the solution to this problem?
- everytime i start driving the car in the morning i get a really loud clunking noise from all around, sounds like a bad strut is this common and how do i fix it?

Neither of these are common.

MY GUESS and I am by no means an expert

On seat : Check to make sure all the fasteners are there and are tightened.

On noise: You got to be more specific on the type of noise and where it's coming from.

I'm guessing you didn't test drive this thing before you bought it?
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:19 pm

ericatdallas wrote:I'm guessing you didn't test drive this thing before you bought it?

i swear you only notice these things later :angel:
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby nkx1 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:17 pm

I know what the seat rocking thing is; I had the same thing when I bought mine a couple of months ago. Luckily, I bought mine from a local Toyota dealer and they fixed it free of charge. If you're lucky and the car is still under warranty, you can get it fixed for free.

Anyway, there is a Technical Service Bulletin about that problem, and The TSB Number is BO011-00. It was issued in MAR 00 and it was named: Seats - Rocking Motion In Drivers Seat.

You can read more about this in an earlier thread that I started, www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopic.php?t ... sb+rocking

I don't know about the clunking noise. The only noise I notice is the ticking sound of the exhaust system when the car is stopped after being driven for a while.
2001 SLE, Diamond White Pearl
nkx1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby onefiend » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:52 am

Ive heard those clunking noises you hear outsided the car. People have said it to be the brake calipers adjusting. You usually hear it when you first drive the car in the morning and when you park at night (but I'm sure it's there everytime you drive). I hope this isnt a Toyota flaw on the Solara...anyone know if there was a recall for anything dealing with our beloved Solara's?

As for the seats rocking mine doesnt do that.
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:35 am

Anonymous wrote: - everytime i start driving the car in the morning i get a really loud clunking noise from all around, sounds like a bad strut is this common and how do i fix it?

Explain the clunking noise and see if you can hear where it's originating from with your windows down in the morning.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby NASTY » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:05 pm

about the seat rocking...does it like move a little bit forward and make a small sound when you brake, then move back again when you accelerate?
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:49 pm

well, actually i did drive it before i bought it :x but this only started happening when it started getting cold outside, it is under warranty (extended bumper to bumper) but i dont wanna be an idiot when i go to the dealer to explain what the problem is. about the seat it rocks back when i accelerate and forth when i brake very slight movement but it bothers me, other that that i like the car, ill bee likin it more when my tints and rims come on.

Postby ericatdallas » Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:51 pm

Anonymous wrote:well, actually i did drive it before i bought it :x but this only started happening when it started getting cold outside, it is under warranty (extended bumper to bumper) but i dont wanna be an idiot when i go to the dealer to explain what the problem is. about the seat it rocks back when i accelerate and forth when i brake very slight movement but it bothers me, other that that i like the car, ill bee likin it more when my tints and rims come on.

If it's that bad sounds like you don't have to explain it. Just show it to them.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5