[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Which to mod??
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Which to mod??

Which to mod??

Postby RedSolaraGuy » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:26 pm

I have a 1999 Solara SE V6 and a 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE V6. Both are autos. If I wanted to spend around $3200, which do you guys/gals recommend modding. The TRD s/c is much cheaper than the Maxima's, but the Maxima is faster stock than the Solara. I'm leaning more towards getting the TRD s/c because I can't afford the s/c for the Maxima, but I'd still like to hear what you think. I only want the fastest, not the best looking, that I can afford. Thanks in advance for info/advice.

RedSolaraGuy :scatter:
RedSolaraGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby nkx1 » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:39 pm

If you want a fast, good looking car, why do you have a solara and maxima? the solara is good looking, but not fast. the maxima is, well, ok looking, and a little fast. But neither of these cars is the total package (even though i love my pimpin solara). Why don't you sell both cars and get the new 350Z? Or if you need 4 seats, you could get the Infiniti G35 coupe. Oh well, thats what I would do if I had both those cars and wanted something fast and good looking. :fadein:
2001 SLE, Diamond White Pearl
nkx1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby onefiend » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:16 pm

fix up the Maxima, I would. The Maxima is suppose to be a 4-door sports car...and well the Solara is just a 2-door Camry.
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NASTY » Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:52 pm

what do the numbers for the maxima SC look like?
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby cdssolara » Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:26 pm

nkx1 wrote:If you want a fast, good looking car, why do you have a solara and maxima? the solara is good looking, but not fast. the maxima is, well, ok looking, and a little fast. But neither of these cars is the total package (even though i love my pimpin solara). Why don't you sell both cars and get the new 350Z? Or if you need 4 seats, you could get the Infiniti G35 coupe. Oh well, thats what I would do if I had both those cars and wanted something fast and good looking. :fadein:

If he was considering selling them both, why not wait till a Nissan Skyline comes to the US? I agree with your points, though. However, if he really wants to modify only one of his cars, he should do it to the Maxima since it's already 25-30% more powerful than a Solara.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:38 am

NASTY wrote:what do the numbers for the maxima SC look like?

The Stillen S/C is a centrifugal Vortech unit. It's good for 240+ to the wheels. A S/C Maxima will easily take a TRD S/C Solara or Camry because of the Maxima's VQ engine powerband and efficient gearing.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby happy_aggies » Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:02 am

Wow! It's time to get Jim's Cylinder head!
'99 Autumn Red Solara SE Auto S/C 1MZ-FE w/ JIC Exhaust
http://www.cardomain.com/id/happy_aggies
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:42 am

happy_aggies wrote:Wow! It's time to get Jim's Cylinder head!

Hehe yup that should help a little. Too bad our S/C's aren't centrifugal style. Otherwise we could use a BOV to get the cool pshhhh sound. :)
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:16 am

According to Edmunds.com, the Maxima is only 22 more hp (or 11%) difference with 3 more ft-lbs of torque. That's so close that I'd have to question how much difference there really is and what measurement techniques were used to measure the hp and torque.

The next thing to do would be to find out how much the maxima s/c is versus the solara's and what the improvement is.

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:According to Edmunds.com, the Maxima is only 22 more hp (or 11%) difference with 3 more ft-lbs of torque. That's so close that I'd have to question how much difference there really is and what measurement techniques were used to measure the hp and torque.

The next thing to do would be to find out how much the maxima s/c is versus the solara's and what the improvement is.

It doesn't matter. People at the track know the Maxima is a strong contender...especially in stock form. A stock 97 SE V6 5spd Manual Maxima can touch 14 sec in the 1/4. A Solara comparable to that can barely get low 15s. It's been proven already. I'm not trying to be devils advocate, but the Maxima will outrun a Solara S/C'ed or stock.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5