[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Oil sludging...
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Oil sludging...

Oil sludging...

Postby camry_y2k » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:11 pm

I know that this has been discussed before but today I got the letter from Toyota about the oil-gelling. I have a 02 Solara and I'm wondering how many of you received the letter as well?
I am currently doing my own oil changes (Every 2,500 miles) due to running the S/C, but should I start taking my car to the dealer for oil changes in case sludging does occur? I just don't want to be blamed later on for improper maintenance. I mean every time i drain my oil it still looks goldish clear.
camry_y2k

Re: Oil sludging...

Postby ericatdallas » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:42 pm

camry_y2k wrote:I know that this has been discussed before but today I got the letter from Toyota about the oil-gelling. I have a 02 Solara and I'm wondering how many of you received the letter as well?
I am currently doing my own oil changes (Every 2,500 miles) due to running the S/C, but should I start taking my car to the dealer for oil changes in case sludging does occur? I just don't want to be blamed later on for improper maintenance. I mean every time i drain my oil it still looks goldish clear.

I thought Toyota said that it will cover gelling even if it determines it's the customer's fault?
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ericatdallas » Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:30 pm

yeah, my point was that you shouldn't be too paranoid about it. The dealer makes money either way when your car breaks down because Toyota will reimburse them for their work. Course, I think they get a lot more profitability off of you.
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:21 am

If I were you, i'd keep the records that show you BOUGHT the filter+Oil. Don't be too worried...as long as you do your serives...and have records, you should have NOTHING to be worried about!
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Flipside909 » Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:20 am

I read a Popular Mechanics article describing how sludge forms and what it's main causes are. Oil is more likely to sludge or gel when oil isn't warmed up properly. People who drive their cars on very short trips are more likely to see sludge because engine oil should be warmed up at least 30 mins so that moisture buildup can burn off completely.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:41 am

yeah, the dummie's guide recommends an oil change interval of 1000 miles for those people.

Synthetic is also less likely to gel up.
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ericatdallas » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:55 pm

I read, and I think it was Pop Mech too, that warming up isn't necessary anymore and it may actually be bad for the newer cars.

(Un)Fortunately (Finding the silver lining...) I have to drive 30-45 minutes to go to school and work sometimes during traffic.
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5