[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Iridium Spark Plugs
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Iridium Spark Plugs

Iridium Spark Plugs

Postby Fairlite » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:39 pm

Ok I have a question. I just had my 60,000 mile Maint. done on my 2000 Solara SLE. When I asked the dealership about Iridium plugs they told me *NOT* to use them because they burn too hot and can cause damage to the cylinders and the piston rings. They said that the only toyota that should have iridium plugs is one model of the Corrolla. My question is this, is there any truth to these statements? I right now I just have the Factory Platnium plugs. I would figure that a Toyota Dealership would know what is good for my car.
Thanks in advance.
Fairlite
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ericatdallas » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:02 pm

Why do you want to use Iridium plugs anyway? I remember reading somewhere in the forums that Solara can't use them.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby krook » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:06 pm

no, Flipside said somethin' like the performance gains would be very minimal. So minimal in fact, that the regular stock spark plugs would be sufficient enough
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:39 pm

The factory used denso iridium plugs on the v6 engine while using some other plugs on the 4... they said you should get colder plugs IF you planned to s/c or turbo it... search for the post... i guess
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:51 pm

You will only benefit from the Iridiums if you're runnning the S/C. Otherwise it's a waste of money. And as far as I know the Iridiums have a colder spark, so I don't know what the Toyota tech is talking about.

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:47 am

Anonymous wrote:You will only benefit from the Iridiums if you're runnning the S/C. Otherwise it's a waste of money. And as far as I know the Iridiums have a colder spark, so I don't know what the Toyota tech is talking about.

Actually those assumptions are all wrong. Iridiums burn more completely and have a higher melting point than regular platinums. There are 2 types of Denso Iridiums, the Denso Iridiums that you buy aftermarket, and the Denso Iridiums that are OEM on SEVERAL current Toyota/Lexus models. The aftermarket Iridiums do not last as long as the ones as OEM. You can order the specific OEM Iridiums from your Toyota parts counter. It's not just for S/C usage. I have a set of Denso Iridium IK20 (oem heat range) plugs on my avalon. They have already over 15,000 miles on them now and the car still runs just as smooth as the day I first put them in. This car currently has 105,000 miles. For the colder plug range IK22 is where S/C'ed applications will benefit. You need the colder plug range to prevent detonation during heavy/hard acceleration. It's not a waste of money since the price of Iridium plugs are getting as cheap as Platinums. BTW, Solara 1MZ-FE from 99-02 use dual tipped platinum..same with the 1MZ-FE found in 97-01. For 2002 Gen5 V6, they now use single tipped Iridiums. My 95 Avalon came stock with single tipped platinums. Toyota always moves up in technology for plugs...never backwards.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:04 am

I'm sorry I wasn't specific - I meant to say IK22 have a colder spark and are optimal for S/C apps

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5