[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - tint problems?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

tint problems?

tint problems?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:39 pm

i got my windows tinted a while ago (30% all around), maybe 2 months

anyways, i noticed on the back window where the strip of black dots is near the top (the guy called it dot matrix) the tint looks terrible cause its all bubbly

the guy told me thats normal on cars with it, cause the film cant stick to the dots

he told me they could cut the tint right where it starts, so the top portion wont be tinted, but i think that might look funny.

anyone else have this problem?

Postby NASTY » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:42 pm

(that message was me)
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

there is a solution!

Postby joepro » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:41 pm

What they should have done was put a strip of blackout, (window tint that is totaly opaque, therefore you won't see the small air bubbles that are caused by the dots on the glass. It will blend right in with the rest of the tint and makes the job look more professional.
2002 Solara SE V6 5-Speed
joepro
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby droomyster » Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:14 pm

they basically told me the same thing with my tint. i'm guessing it is illegal to make it darker, but i may be wrong. i was thinking of having them trim it. i've seen a lot of cars with it trimmed. i also thought of putting a banner on top of it so it isn't noticeable but i don't know what kind of banner would look good. a trd one of some sort maybe?
droomyster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: tint problems?

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:41 am

Anonymous wrote:i got my windows tinted a while ago (30% all around), maybe 2 months

anyways, i noticed on the back window where the strip of black dots is near the top (the guy called it dot matrix) the tint looks terrible cause its all bubbly

the guy told me thats normal on cars with it, cause the film cant stick to the dots

he told me they could cut the tint right where it starts, so the top portion wont be tinted, but i think that might look funny.

I think it depends on the conditions, tint installer and tint itself. My Solara has Solargard Quantum...a full titanium sputtered film. I have only a small area...(the top corners) of where the tint doesn't go well over the dot matrix...but the rest of it is on with no problem.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby droomyster » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:47 am

Flipside909 wrote:
I think it depends on the conditions, tint installer and tint itself. My Solara has Solargard Quantum...a full titanium sputtered film. I have only a small area...(the top corners) of where the tint doesn't go well over the dot matrix...but the rest of it is on with no problem.

i do have the lifetime warranty, so i can go back and have them try to "fix" it. but after calling they said it most likely wouldn't be easily fixed. i don't know. i haven't taken the time to go back out there and have them look at it.
droomyster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:30 pm

droomyster wrote:
i do have the lifetime warranty, so i can go back and have them try to "fix" it. but after calling they said it most likely wouldn't be easily fixed. i don't know. i haven't taken the time to go back out there and have them look at it.

Yeah, usually if the shop offers lifetime warranty on the install, they should be able to take care of you.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Flipside909 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:30 pm

droomyster wrote:

Yeah, usually if the shop offers lifetime warranty on the install, they should be able to take care of you.
www.clublexus.com

Solaraguy.com OG. ;)
Flipside909
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Xyntax » Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:14 pm

I had my Solara tinted with 13% and the guy that did it covered the dot matrix with a black tape. It's the same color as the dot matrix, so my rear window is visually reduced by 2 inches when I look at it from my rearview mirror. It doesnt bother me at all and the tint looks really good. I suggest you tell the guy who tinted your this story, it's pretty standard. On my rear side windows though, I could see tiny bubbles from the dot matrix but only if you really look close to it.

Anonymous wrote:i got my windows tinted a while ago (30% all around), maybe 2 months

Xyntax

Postby NaptownSolara » Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:25 am

They make black vinyl strips for just that purpose... If your installer doesn't have them, they should at least be able to tell you where to get them. It does hinder peripheral vision a little, but it's worth it for the looks.
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Silver
Alpine/Kicker audio system
NaptownSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NASTY » Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:19 am

i think itll look alright if i just get them to take off the top strip where its not sticking
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5