[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Stock lights vs Sylvania 9003 Cool Blues comparison
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Stock lights vs Sylvania 9003 Cool Blues comparison

Stock lights vs Sylvania 9003 Cool Blues comparison

Postby nkx1 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:14 pm

I installed Sylvania 9003 cool blue lights and 9006 cool blue fogs tonight. Here are some comparison pics:
www.geocities.com/nkx1/page2.html

The pics don't show a great amount of difference. When viewing them in person, however, the cool blues were much whiter and a little brighter than stock, which my camera didn't pick up very well. Oh well, hopefully the $60 price for everything was worth it. I'm just happy my lights look white now instead of yellow. From what I saw, there was no noticable hint of yellow in the cool blues.

I just finished making my own clear corners too. I'm just waiting untill the sealant dries to install them. Then I'll take some pics.
2001 SLE, Diamond White Pearl
nkx1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Stock lights vs Sylvania 9003 Cool Blues comparison

Postby Missay » Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:46 pm

nkx1 wrote:I just finished making my own clear corners too. I'm just waiting untill the sealant dries to install them. Then I'll take some pics.

hey, how did this go?? did you use that website's directions to do it?
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Re: Stock lights vs Sylvania 9003 Cool Blues comparison

Postby Missay » Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:50 pm

nkx1 wrote:The pics don't show a great amount of difference. When viewing them in person, however, the cool blues were much whiter and a little brighter than stock, which my camera didn't pick up very well.

i just looked at the pics and considering how bad cameras are at picking up what the headlights look like in person, i can tell just from the pic that they're better...you can see the color difference and you can see the halo of light around the right side much greater. the stock doesn't have much light diffusion i guess you could say...but the projection of light from the cool blues seem to be more uniform and even.

am i the only one seeing this??
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby nkx1 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:20 pm

The clear corners were pretty easy. I've read those directions before on SC3, but didn't really need them. All I did was pry apart the clear part from the back with a flat screwdriver, and then used needle nose pliers to extract the orange lense. (I like to think of it as surgery for my Solara :lol: ). Anyway, after that I tried using super glue to glue back the clear part, but it didn't work. All I did was smudge the clear plastic and scratch the silver inside trying to remove glue after it didn't work. Luckily, the scratches aren't too noticable. It's kinda wierd; superglue works so good at glueing my fingers together, but really doesn't work on anything else. So I had to buy some epoxy to glue the lense back. Then I just put some clear silicone sealant over the epoxy for water proofing, and am waiting for it to dry. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not that bad at all. Definitely worth saving $50 or so.
nkx1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:25 pm

nkx1 wrote:It's kinda wierd; superglue works so good at glueing my fingers together, but really doesn't work on anything else. So I had to buy some epoxy to glue the lense back.

lol..one of life's little fustrations

nkx1 wrote:It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not that bad at all. Definitely worth saving $50 or so.

actually doesn't sound too bad...i'm just concerened about doing this b/c if i ever sell the car i'd probably want the factory ones..or if i got a ticket for them i'd have nothing to put back in
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby nkx1 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:35 pm

...i'm just concerened about doing this b/c if i ever sell the car i'd probably want the factory ones..or if i got a ticket for them i'd have nothing to put back in

hmmm... good point. didn't think about that. Well, I had clear corners in my Integra for over 2 years and was pulled over for a variety of other things. Cops never said anything about the clear corners though, so hopefully I'll be ok. As far as selling it, I think the clear corners enhance the appearance, so hopefully it will be a plus.
Last edited by nkx1 on Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nkx1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:41 pm

so is your solara just kinda chillin in the driveway w/ out corner lenses?? lol
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby nkx1 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:47 pm

Missay wrote:so is your solara just kinda chillin in the driveway w/ out corner lenses?? lol

nope. solara is safe and sound in the nice warm garage. it stays cleaner that way, plus i'm too paranoid about the rims and stereo to leave it out overnight.
nkx1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Missay » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:51 pm

you garage people..i'm jealous...damn street parking...lol
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby ericatdallas » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:05 am

yeah, I want a garage too. My poor Solara :(

Anyway, a friend told me BMWs have clear corners... ? Maybe he saw a modified one? But if BMWs come with it stock, then if they can get away with it, then we should too.
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NASTY » Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:37 am

yeah, a lot of bmw's do
but they also have the orange side marker...
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby ICrazyChrisI » Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:49 am

Nice pics :D Are Nokya Artic Whites brighter than CoolBlues?
ICrazyChrisI
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby c2g » Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:34 pm

what about phillips blue vision? I heard they were better than the sylvania cool blues
99 silverstream SE V6 18" RSL nengans, Streetglow head and fog lights, Reverse guages,
Kicker L7 12" DVC, MTX amp, panasonic 903U, sirius, shaved emblems, clear corners,
altezza tails, K&N filter, mesh upper & lower grill so far
c2g
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ericatdallas » Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:07 pm

yeah, the link that Jay gave us a while back when he did his HID conversion says that Phillips Vision Plus bulbs were better than Sylvania Silverstars. They seem to be cheaper too.

http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopic.php?t=644&highlight=hid+conversion
2000 Solara SLE V6 - Green w/ Beige Interior
ericatdallas
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby droomyster » Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:30 pm

droomyster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5