[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - um... O/D on or off ??
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

um... O/D on or off ??

um... O/D on or off ??

Postby newroc » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:39 pm

it's my first car, and i know next to nothing about it. Did a search here but could not find a relevant answer.

I got a 99 I4 automatic, 79k miles, 2 months ago, have a question about the overdrive. Here's what I think I know: Cheap cars don't have the O/D button on the side of the transmission stick. When the OD button is not depressed on the stick, the overdrive kicks in when you're at around 40mph, so you're supposed to go smoother and save money on the highway.

But when the O/D button is pressed, you see the light on the dashboard "O/D off", you get more power for your car, at the expense of using more fuel, so pressing the button is recommended only for city driving under 55mph. Is this correct? So anyone who routinely drives city+highway would be pressing that button several times a day for best performance, right? And if they drive exclusively on city streets, they should always have their OD button pressed, and the "O/D off" light on the dashboard should always be lit?

My question is: Is the O/D button like a manual 4th gear for an automatic transmission car? But when I ride in other people's cars I never see them using the OD button since I never see the "O/D off" light on their dashboard. And on more than one occasion, my friends have remarked that I have a "warning light" on my dashboard, and I have to assure them that's normal when I'm city driving.

Granted, my circle of friends are not auto enthusiasts, so they couldn't care less if they have overdrive on or off. So is my above interpretation correct? Sorry for sounding repetitive, but I'm thinking aloud here trying to convince myself that the OD is relevent. And are all you auto affictionados pressing that O/D button as if it were an extra gear shift?

Disclaimer: as I said I know next to nothing about cars, so this is a "um, hello??" kind of question, and I'm not trolling.
newroc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TadS » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Leave the OD on, unless you need the higher revs. Keeping the engine at lower RPM's is better for the parts and for the gas mileage. Generally, some engineer put alot of thought into the ECT on the A140E take advantage on it :).
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby newroc » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:51 pm

On my particular car, my daily usage is around 5-10 city miles a day, and with the OD on, I have to floor the pedal to move the car out of an intersection, and the revs go through the roof (3-4000s). With OD off, the revs are actually lower, with double the power, does this make sense?
newroc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby WhiteSLEV6 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:51 pm

Overdrive should always be on.

The only time I take it off is when i go up a really high road and when I first start the car in the morning but I take it off after like 3 minutes.

And yeah, like you said.. it's like 4th gear for a manual.

btw anyone know the max speed with overdrive off? Ive never really tried it.
http://www.pbase.com/pearlwhiteslev6

TRD Supercharger, Injen Intake
Eibach springs next!
WhiteSLEV6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ThatVietGuy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:16 pm

As far as I've gone is like 90 mph w/out OD.

Alsot, I've heard that it's wise to turn off OD when in traffic so you can prevent the car from constantly shifting between third and fourth.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DatSRBoi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:31 pm

Hmm Interesting stuff.

Is it true that you dont need to turn it off in racing since your RPM will go high and shift anyway? I see lots of racers doing it. I personally dont think it does anything..
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby ThatVietGuy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:34 pm

I don't see the point either. It's not like it starts off in fourth gear at a dead stop.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DatSRBoi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:41 pm

ThatVietGuy wrote:I don't see the point either. It's not like it starts off in fourth gear at a dead stop.

Thats what I think so too. I think it was meant to keep a car in higher RPM at stable speed. usually in hills to advoid loosing power when gas is release. Or bad weathers too....I think..
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Jon11582 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:06 am

Just keep OD on all the time.

OD off keeps you out of third gear, so its like you have a 3 gear auto.

If your on a hill, or apply more gas, the tranmission is smart enough to downshift to third to provide more power. And the tranmission shifts fast enough that any extra "control" you get from having OD off isnt really an issue.

The only time it should be off is when your hauling something (need more torque, which more is avaible at higher RPMs), or going downhill. (Youll notice that your engine slows down faster when OD is off since there is more "engine braking" at higher RPMs. This way you can let the engine slow you down, and you dont need to brake all the way down the hill, preventing brakefade..In these areas you usually see signs that say "trucks, use lower gear". )

I dont think the Solara makes a capable hauler, so going downhill should be the only time you would use it, and even then its only to prevent brake fade, and I dont think theres a hill thats long enough in the U.S. to make this a real issue.

I hear that you have a higher max speed in 3rd gear than 4th as well, but I'm talking about everyday driving, not bouncing off the speed governer. I think the OD off button is more of a legacy thing, but with todays "smart" auto transmissions, its not really necessary.

I do use this button quite a bit though...How do I use it? When I see a speedtrap up ahead, I click off OD, and let the engine brake me. If you pass a cop whos on speed patrol while your brake lights are on, its almost a sign that you know you were going too fast.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby WhiteSLEV6 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:17 am

Jon11582 wrote: If you pass a cop whos on speed patrol while your brake lights are on, its almost a sign that you know you were going too fast.

You know how much speed you lose if your going like 50 mph and press the OD button??
http://www.pbase.com/pearlwhiteslev6

TRD Supercharger, Injen Intake
Eibach springs next!
WhiteSLEV6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jon11582 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:01 am

Try it. You lose alot more speed if you were actually going over the speed limit. (i.e. 80 down to 60).

Note i DONT advocate speeding, but I know it happens from time to time that your over the speed limit without noticing it (of course, because your busy being a safe driver and keeping your eyes on the road.)
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1st Gen Sol » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:18 pm

^^^^ tried it earlier today, po-po on the Southern State Parkway, I was going about 85 turned the OD off and it brought me down to about 67.

.....good looken Jon 8) 8)
1st Gen Sol
Stock Sleeper
Stock Sleeper

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5