[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Gauge Cluster Lighting
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Gauge Cluster Lighting

Postby dominoSLEV6 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:11 pm

QuickSEV6 wrote:Have you considered getting the lit faces on ebay?

Am I the only one that doens't like these things?

My friend put them in his cavalier and I felt like I was transported back to the 90's when glow in the dark things were cool.

Hyper bright white LEDs are the way to go.

If you can make your gauge lok as sexy as the infamous bright white maxima gauges, you've done good soldier.

-chris
It will run one day, RPMs EVERYWHERE!
dominoSLEV6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby QuickSEV6 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:59 pm

This is what I have now:

I kind of like it, however, the down side...

To eliminate green light leaking through the cracks, I removed all of the light bulbs from the cluster.
This creates another problem. I can't see needles or odometer.
How to solve: Lit needles.
I found them on Ebay about three years ago. They do look nice, but the are difficult to install. I had to shave off the orange color from the needle backing and one bulb isn't bright enough to illuminate the entire odometer. So, I need more needle lights. Can't find them on Ebay anymore. Also, after I removed the needles, the fuel gauge doesn't read properly and I never see temp gauge move.
I just bought another cluster off of Ebay, so I can experiment and try different things with it.

Your hyper-white idea sounds nice. Any ideas how to achieve it?
QuickSEV6
Solara Driver Extraordinaire

Postby funboy102 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:07 pm

QuickSEV6 wrote:Your hyper-white idea sounds nice. Any ideas how to achieve it?

This is what I got,

and I used these,

PIAA Xtreme White Bulbs...

For the record, I'd only replaced 4 bulbs, the one on the very very right is still the stock green bulb. They look really nice in real life, the picture doesn't do it justice...
1999 Solara SE V6 5-Speed PICS! http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=43759
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolAraB » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:57 pm

^^^^^^^So did you just plug and play with those bulbs....and why didnt you just replace all of the bulbs?
SolAraB
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby funboy102 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:56 pm

ohh, well, it IS plug and play, and why didn't I? well, what happen was, in my old car (94 Camry) it only needed 4 194 bulbs to light up the IP. But on the Solara, you need 5. So when I transfered them over, yeah, that's what happened. One of thse days I might change the 5th one, but in real life, it's not as bad as it seem in the picture, like honest, you won't notice it that much.
1999 Solara SE V6 5-Speed PICS! http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=43759
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolAraB » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:19 am

Coo haha i thought you just left it in to make it look like v-tec or something kicks in at that rpm.....i actually like those kinds of custom designs....and if i squint a little your pic looks dam good....haha :wink:
SolAraB
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby QuickSEV6 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:19 am

funboy102 wrote:
QuickSEV6 wrote:Your hyper-white idea sounds nice. Any ideas how to achieve it?

This is what I got,

and I used these,

PIAA Xtreme White Bulbs...

For the record, I'd only replaced 4 bulbs, the one on the very very right is still the stock green bulb. They look really nice in real life, the picture doesn't do it justice...

No offense, but that is pretty far from hyper-white.
This is hyperwhite.

I may try this with my new cluster.
If you want to see how it was done, click here:
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/sho ... hp?t=71207
QuickSEV6

Postby made in china » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:03 pm

You guys are barking up the wrong tree with putting LEDs and electroluminescent gauge faces in your Solaras. For all the effort of stuffing those crappy LEDs in there you could have just swapped in the ES300 Optitron cluster.
Gettin' pirate eyed.......

2002 BSP SE V6 5 Speed
TRD RSB
5000K HID Headlights
3000K HID Foglights
Gen 1.0 Tails
Optitron Lexus Cluster
made in china
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolAraB » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:47 pm

^^^^ I dont no...thats looks pretty nice but i am so used to the Solara design.....plus i like the solara design better......the es300's design looks very plain :(
SolAraB
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby CASTRO » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:16 am

made in china wrote:You guys are barking up the wrong tree with putting LEDs and electroluminescent gauge faces in your Solaras. For all the effort of stuffing those crappy LEDs in there you could have just swapped in the ES300 Optitron cluster.

holy damn! is the gluster a direct swap? if not, what did you have to do to get it to work? VERY interested.
97 Camry XLE S/C V6 -- 07 "New Formula Red" S2000 -- 07 "Milano Red" Fit Sport
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby made in china » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:19 pm

SolAraB wrote:^^^^ I dont no...thats looks pretty nice but i am so used to the Solara design.....plus i like the solara design better......the es300's design looks very plain :(

I kind of agree, but I don't like the plain jane Solara gauges much either. It's either Solara gauges with spotty LED lighting, Indiglo Gauges (which I like certain styles but my car has the SECURITY LED) or ES300 gauges. The ES300 Optitron gauges look awesome in person. The camera shows the needles as orange, but they are very bright, deep red. And the white is very pure, so actually the cluster looks better than the pics seem.

Castro, I will go ahead and post a DIY soon, I am going to get pics of my wiring conversion. Basically, to do this you need a decent ES300 cluster (got mine for under $60 with 80K from eBay) with the cut ES300 harness and you need to swap in the ES300 connectors. If you can do a decent job installing a car stereo, you can do this swap. The ES300 cluster bolts in perfectly with no mods and the trim bezel fits perfect. Remember a ES300 is a Camry/Solara

2002 BSP SE V6 5 Speed
TRD RSB
5000K HID Headlights
3000K HID Foglights
Gen 1.0 Tails
Optitron Lexus Cluster
made in china
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby CASTRO » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:45 pm

allright many thanks man! BTW, what year are those es300 gauges from exactly? I saw a bunch on ebay but dont know what year to start looking for. Nice to know that it bolts right up without cutting or modding the surrounds. Im good with wiring so redoing it shouldnt be a challenge, only part is which wires to tap or directions on which wire goes to where. Thanks again for all the help. btw, i've got an auto, any chance you could look into getting the auto lights to work like stock? i know you have a 5sp so it doesnt matter to you. It'd be a great help esp since you have allready worked out most of the connections.
97 Camry XLE S/C V6 -- 07 "New Formula Red" S2000 -- 07 "Milano Red" Fit Sport
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby made in china » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:11 pm

I made a color coded excel chart to show exactly how to swap the wiring. I also included the conversions for AT cars and cars with TRAC.

The correct years for the cluster are 97-01 ES300.

2002 BSP SE V6 5 Speed
TRD RSB
5000K HID Headlights
3000K HID Foglights
Gen 1.0 Tails
Optitron Lexus Cluster
made in china
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby made in china » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:53 am

CASTRO wrote:allright many thanks man! BTW, what year are those es300 gauges from exactly? I saw a bunch on ebay but dont know what year to start looking for. Nice to know that it bolts right up without cutting or modding the surrounds. Im good with wiring so redoing it shouldnt be a challenge, only part is which wires to tap or directions on which wire goes to where. Thanks again for all the help. btw, i've got an auto, any chance you could look into getting the auto lights to work like stock? i know you have a 5sp so it doesnt matter to you. It'd be a great help esp since you have allready worked out most of the connections.

BTW, the connectors are very similar between ES and Camry, they are the same style. But the ES uses 4 connectors, I believe it's a 10pin, two 13pin and one 16pin, where as the Camry uses two 13pin and one 16pin. Also, almost all the wires are in different locations in the connector, however I only had to splice about 6 or 7 wires, the others just swapped because the connectors can be released and disassembled then re-configured. It's not that big of a deal.

Even though the ES has 10 more connections, there are a few unused ones, and the extra ones over a Camry are for things our Camry's don't have like HID warning and front bulb out, low oil level, etc. However everything the Camry has shows up fine in the ES cluster.

2002 BSP SE V6 5 Speed
TRD RSB
5000K HID Headlights
3000K HID Foglights
Gen 1.0 Tails
Optitron Lexus Cluster
made in china
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Gauge Cluster Lighting

Postby cduluk » Fri May 18, 2012 8:37 am

Hey guys, does anyone happen to have a copy of any of the wiring diagrams "made in china" mentioned above to convert the plugs from toyota to lexus? I'm trying to do the same thing but can't figure out the wiring... Thanks!
cduluk
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5