[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - P0135 and how to replace the O2 sensor (2000 V6 Solara)
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

P0135 and how to replace the O2 sensor (2000 V6 Solara)

P0135 and how to replace the O2 sensor (2000 V6 Solara)

Postby akw999 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:15 pm

Hi all,

I've been going through the forum and have found that, for my 2000 V6 Solara, the O2 sensor corresponding to P0135 (O2 heater failure) is the one adjacent to the firewall. I've found on the web that www.densoproducts.com sell an oem one for $90 that is a direct replacement for my factory one. I also read from this forum not to use 3rd party ones (such as Borsch, Walker, etc.), so I'll most likely get this one.

The O2 sensor by the firewall is rather difficult to access. Can anyone offer any advice on how to remove the sensor and the connector? Any special tools, procedures or tricks? Some pics would be nice. :-?

Alex
akw999
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ozone » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:38 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is the one you have to remove the driver's seat to get to. The connector is under the seat. The rest is straight forward, but a PITA.

Good luck if you haven't already done this.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:45 pm

If it's the one by the firewall, I don't think the seat would need to come out....but I may be wrong, I didn't.
I have a 2000 Camry and I had no issues with removing it when I installed my headers. The real pain was disconnecting the wiring. Just take your time and a long screwdriver helps. Be sure to look at the new sensor and front sensor to determine how it clips from the o2 sensor, you DON'T want to break the clip. And, you might need a rust inhibitor to break the bolts on the exhaust free. Spray everything ahead of time, just in case.
Again, I was removing the entire exhaust and it may have been easier for me.
Invest in a Haine's or Chilton's manual to give you some idea what you are up against.
Good Luck, Go Slow and be patient. You are simply removing one part and replacing it with another.
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby akw999 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Thanks very much for your advice.

According to this forum, I believe the O2 sensor related to P0135 is pre-catalytic conv and it's the one near the exhaust manifold beside the firewall (my Solara is a V6, so the other O2 sensor is beside the radiator). The faulty one looks pretty hard to get at and the connector even harder to remove. I hope I'm changing the right one...any advice to verify this?

If it is the one beside the firewall, do I have to take out anything (e.g., the throttle body, etc.) to access the sensor? I think I can reach it if I lay on top of the engine.
akw999
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby unbalancedwood » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:39 pm

its that back one by the firewall. i think you can get to it easier from under...
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby nj99solara » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:12 pm

akw999 wrote:Thanks very much for your advice.

According to this forum, I believe the O2 sensor related to P0135 is pre-catalytic conv and it's the one near the exhaust manifold beside the firewall (my Solara is a V6, so the other O2 sensor is beside the radiator). The faulty one looks pretty hard to get at and the connector even harder to remove. I hope I'm changing the right one...any advice to verify this?

If it is the one beside the firewall, do I have to take out anything (e.g., the throttle body, etc.) to access the sensor? I think I can reach it if I lay on top of the engine.

I have had to replace mine and it actually wasn't hard. For me it was easier to reach it while I was standing on the drivers side but I am tall and do have long arms so I don't know how easy it would be for you. I did not have to remove anything to get to it but it was a tight squeeze.
I bought mine from a local dealer for about $200 it was expensive but I wanted to make sure it was the right one and I didn't want to order it and wait for it to be delivered.
Good Luck
'99 Solara SLE V6 Black/Tan Leather
-4500k HID Bi-xenon kit
-4500k HID Fogs
-5% Tint in rear
-Tinted Stock Taillights
-Shaved Emblems
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2076665
nj99solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:10 pm

Unclipped it from up top and removed it from underneath.
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5