[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Cabin Filter
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Cabin Filter

Cabin Filter

Postby Grnarowana » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:13 pm

When does a cabin filter need to be changed? I never changed the cabin filter since I got my 1999 solara in 2004. Recently, SO CAL has been having a lot of forest fires, so I'm taking along alot of dust and other air particles. How much do they run for, and how do i change it?
Grnarowana
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Cabin Filter

Postby bronzemaxell » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:26 am

Grnarowana wrote:When does a cabin filter need to be changed? I never changed the cabin filter since I got my 1999 solara in 2004. Recently, SO CAL has been having a lot of forest fires, so I'm taking along alot of dust and other air particles. How much do they run for, and how do i change it?

i was wondering if it ever exist?
Diamond Pearl White V6 SE 5 Speed Manual Transmission, Pure Black headlight with RS6 Bixenon HID projectors retrofit
bronzemaxell
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby onefiend » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:54 am

no cabin filter on the Gen1-1.5, only on the Gen2 Solara.
2007 Camry SE V6
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Grnarowana » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:37 am

nice!...so how does out gen 1-1.5 get clean air??? or block the dirty particles and ash, and what not?
Grnarowana
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mole » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:08 am

Grnarowana wrote:nice!...so how does out gen 1-1.5 get clean air??? or block the dirty particles and ash, and what not?

nostril hairs....
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby ahimsa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:39 pm

Ass evidenced by a post several down, I pulled out my glove box to replace my filter, and, lo and behold no filter. The auto parts store will sell you one, though. I don't know where they expect you to put it, but I asked if my 02 solara had a cabin air filter, and they said yes, so I special ordered it, and spent an hour disassembling my dash to find no filter.

Good thing I have a receipt, but save yourself some trouble, and don'tt go looking
ahimsa
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Mole » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:11 am

^ you might be able to jimmy rig a filter in somehow.+
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Mr_Chunkz » Thu May 08, 2008 11:02 pm

:o
so when I asked my mechanic to change my cabin air filter cause my vents smelled like wet farts... wtf did he do?
Cause now my car smells fresh
lucky he didnt charge me eh
- Mr_Chunkz -
The Daily
Mr_Chunkz
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby (K) » Fri May 09, 2008 1:28 am

probably just cleaned out your evaporator...and vents.
~ 2002 DWP Solara SE 2.4L 5spd Manual ~ R.I.P.
- 2005 Accord Coupe V6 - R.I.P.
2004 Accord Coupe V6 ... Let's try this again.
(K)
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DrLove » Fri May 09, 2008 6:34 am

sombody can make a tutorial to explain how to clean the evaporator and vents?? Mine smell like crap too sometimes.
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby redgen1 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:25 am

+1

i get a mildewy smell when its been raining for a day or two, and i drive it, park it and get in it again, ew.
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby thestevo44 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:42 am

My first Solara was a 2000 I-4 with a 5 speed. That has nothing to do with what I am about to say, I just loved that car.

Anyway, it was a Gen 1, and thus no cabin air filter. The only problem I had with that car, was that when it would rain, or if there was a morning with a lot of moisture, the air conditioning, and thus the interior would smell of rotten eggs, wet socks, however you want to describe it. I am fairly sure complaints or realization by Toyota of a design mistake caused the Gen 2s and up to have the filter.

Anyway, to solve this issue quickly and somewhat painlessly, you can follow this procedure.

1) Buy either an odor killing, mildew removing Lysol spray, or alternative "moisture eliminating spray" like it.
2) Start your car, put the A/C on high, and put it on the setting for OUTSIDE air.
3) With the car running, spray the A/C intake grid, which is outside the car, just behind the hood and in front of the windshield. Spray the entire grid, allowing the substance to enter the intake system. Let it run for a bit. Check the odor levels, and repeat if necessary.
4) Basically, what you are doing is drying out the air ducts and hopefully killing mildew that has accumulated.

I live in Arizona, so luckily as dry as it is here, I did not have to do this much. On the other hand, someone once offered that BECAUSE it is dry here, when there is a sudden abundance of rain, it actually causes the problem.

Anyway, if you have stinky A/C, this will help.
el Stevo de la desierto
2004 Red Solara Convertible

thestevo44
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby redgen1 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:56 am

interesting, thanks man
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby (K) » Thu May 22, 2008 10:03 am

^That's a great way to clean out your evaporator.

All the gunk, bacteria, and basically crap in the outside air collects on the evaporator and SHOULD drain out from under it. Sometimes it cakes onto the evaporator or gets stuck in the fins. A nice cleaning spray that kills airborn bacteria should do miracles. Try not to use any chemicals that'll kill you lol.

I wouldn't try pouring any liquids down there though because of the way the evaporator is mounted. I mean rain and stuff gets down there and all and comes right back out, but still...

Definitely a design flaw like Stevo said. Bad Toyota.
~ 2002 DWP Solara SE 2.4L 5spd Manual ~ R.I.P.
- 2005 Accord Coupe V6 - R.I.P.
2004 Accord Coupe V6 ... Let's try this again.
(K)
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby thestevo44 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:18 am

(K) wrote:
I wouldn't try pouring any liquids down there though because of the way the evaporator is mounted. I mean rain and stuff gets down there and all and comes right back out, but still...

Yes, definitely do not POUR anything in there, I agree. That is also why it is important to have the car running when you spray a mist of mildew remover in there. After all, the object is to eliminate water build up, not increase it. :drinking:
el Stevo de la desierto
2004 Red Solara Convertible

thestevo44
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5