[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Any fuel pump problems out there?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Any fuel pump problems out there?

Any fuel pump problems out there?

Postby bullet3z » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:48 am

My 99 v6 with 84k miles will not start. If you turn the key it just cranks and never turns over. It started doing this a month or so ago and it kept getting harder and harder to start. We then changed the fuel filter, plugs and wires. For about 2 or 3 weeks it started up just fine. Now it wont start again. It is at the garage and they can not find out what is wrong with it. They went to check the fuel pressure but do not have the right fitting for the fuel line. They suggested I take it to another shop that works on foreign cars.

I was wondering is it worth spending the almost $200 and replacing the fuel pump "they think that might be the problem" or take it to the other shop first. I do not know this place and am not a big fan of going for service somewhere I do not know the people.

Has anyone else replaced a fuel pump yet? If so which one did you use. I see the Bosch one is around $150.00.
bullet3z
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby BChad200 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:02 pm

since you just did a tune up chances are that it could be the pump. one way to test if it's fuel or ignition however, is to spray some starting fluid in you throttle body and see if it fires/starts. if it does start run some fuel injector cleaner through it a time or two and see if it helps. or since it's already at the shop i'd get it over to the import shop and let them look at it....
BChad200
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby BChad200 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:03 pm

ps if you get a new pump the walbro 190 seems to be the most popular...
BChad200
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Eye8Pussies » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:58 pm

you can get a direct oem-spec replacement from walbro as well for a bit over 100 on ebay

as for the fuel pressure checking- try what bchad suggested
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Dawgz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Do not get that bosche fuel pump or watever, 150 is way too much, let alone the 200.

You can buy a walbro 190lph fuel pump from ebay (make sure its a reputable seller because there are FAKE PUMPS out there) or u can get one from www.urdusa.com <- that place will have 100% authentic pumps.

It will run u about 90-110$ depending on where u get it from.

U will also need 4 0-rings for the fuel pump if u go this route. U can aquire these from the toyota dealership. Just tell them u need the O-ring for the stock fuel pump, the part that goes into the fuel pump assembly. THey should be no more than a dollar each.

Once u get all this crap, pm me and i will send u a PDF file with full instructions on how to tackle this install. It takes literally 20 mins if ur a total noob or about 5-10 mins if ur good at wat ur doing.

GL!
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Or you could buy my old one that was working when I took out for $30 shipped. I had to upgrade because of my s/c'er.
Joe
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby bullet3z » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:29 am

Guy's thanks for the info. I did end up taking it into a place called Foreign Traffic. I am waiting for them to call to tell what is wrong. I am half tempted to tell them not to change the fuel pump if that is in fact the problem.

Is it really that easy to change yourself? We did the fuel pump a 91 Honda Civic and it was a royal pain in the rear. Not to mention the gas bath that we took. :(

Dawgz I will send you a pm for those instructions.

Thanks everyone for the help.
bullet3z
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dawgz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:36 pm

bullet3z wrote:Guy's thanks for the info. I did end up taking it into a place called Foreign Traffic. I am waiting for them to call to tell what is wrong. I am half tempted to tell them not to change the fuel pump if that is in fact the problem.

Is it really that easy to change yourself? We did the fuel pump a 91 Honda Civic and it was a royal pain in the rear. Not to mention the gas bath that we took. :(

Dawgz I will send you a pm for those instructions.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Its Extremely easy. Hit me up on PM.
Dawgz

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 pm

Very easy install. :D
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby bullet3z » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:20 am

Well just my luck. The shop can not get it to act up. It is starting for them every time they try. They even let it sit over night and tried in the morning. It started right up. Now I am at a loss. I do not want to toss money at this trying to find the problem.

I may do the fuel pump anyways, if and when I get it back.

If I get the one from underdog do I need to do the mods that were listed in the PDF file?
bullet3z
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dawgz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 pm

if u get it from underdog, u will get a complete kit.
Dawgz

Postby shocar4 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:45 pm

dawgz is there only one 190 walbro on urd? that's all that i can find.... i am getting ready to order one!
99DWP SC 4psi, TRD shortshifter, 305 RC's, Jim's fuel, iK22, 190lph walbro, ssfc, 170 thermo, greddy catback!(SOLD)
99DWP SC 4psi, Injen CAI, TRD exhaust, TRD shortshifter, Jim's Fuel, Magnecore wires, NGK Iridium IX!(SOLD)
shocar4
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Dawgz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:57 pm

shocar4 wrote:dawgz is there only one 190 walbro on urd? that's all that i can find.... i am getting ready to order one!

U should contact them and ask for the solara/camry kit, it comes with the correct o-rings.

Otherwise u can just get the pump from ebay for alot cheaper and get the o-rings from the dealership
Dawgz

Postby shocar4 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:31 pm

where is the pump on ebay? is it just any 190 walbro?
99DWP SC 4psi, TRD shortshifter, 305 RC's, Jim's fuel, iK22, 190lph walbro, ssfc, 170 thermo, greddy catback!(SOLD)
99DWP SC 4psi, Injen CAI, TRD exhaust, TRD shortshifter, Jim's Fuel, Magnecore wires, NGK Iridium IX!(SOLD)
shocar4
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Dawgz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:38 pm

yes, type in Walbro 190lph
make sure u have a good seller, nothing from china or some crap haha.
Dawgz

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5