[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 2002 Convertible Headlights
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

2002 Convertible Headlights

2002 Convertible Headlights

Postby cityofglass » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:51 pm

I have a question for anyone who has a gen 1-1.5 Convertible. I just bought an 02 SLE that is supposed to have automatic headlight; it has sensor and all. However, the only position that turns the headlight on is the forced on position (the headlight symbol.) Is this actually not an option on 02 convertible SLE's or is there something wrong with the control unit, or am I just slow??
cityofglass
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SpeedySolara » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:27 am

2 Possibilities why the Daytime Running Lights aren't working:

1. You have the DRL option turned off (available option on Gen 1.5) or,
2. You have the hand brake up

In order for the DRL to function you must have the option turned on and the hand brake off. When it becomes dark enough outside the sensor will pick it up and your headlights will turn on brighter. Hope this helps.
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cityofglass » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks for the expedite reply, but both of those are good; at night it could be on the DRL position with the hand break off but only the dimmed headlight illuminate without any interior lights turning on.

I have a warranty on it until 120k miles. Is there something I can test, such as the sensor, before I bring it to the dealer. Or, would it just be easier to let them take care of it?
cityofglass
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SpeedySolara » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:25 am

Do you have HIDs or any other modifications to your headlights?
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cityofglass » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:12 am

Nope, all stock.
cityofglass
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Check the stalk...

Postby Big Mack » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:36 pm

...it should have one more rotation on it for the auto lights. At least, that's what it usually is. One click past "on" should do the trick if it's what I'm thinking. Let us know, though. Oh, and easy way to test it if it's daytime is to just cover the sensor. You'll see the radio dim down, and you know it's working ;)

Big Mack
Big Mack
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cityofglass » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:24 pm

Nope. The only positions is "DRL OFF," "DRL," a dash, and the headlight on option.
cityofglass
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SpeedySolara » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 am

When you have it on the DRL position the high beams should light up but dim. Does that happen?
*If they don't turn on, turn on your high beams to check if the bulbs are good. If the high beams dont turn on at all then replace your bulbs.
*If the high beams do light up dim, then your DRL work. At that point what might not work are your sensors but like one of the other members said, cover the sensor and check if the headlights switch from a dim high beam to a bright low beam.
Run all these tests and see what happens.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cityofglass » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:02 am

Lol, I have done all of those. Unfortunately, I get no response from the sensor. The high beams come on just fine at low intensity. The problem is my car does no recognize when the light levels have fallen. Anyone know of a way I can test the sensor beyond just covering it up? Also I just want to be absolutely certain, the 02 SLE convertible is supposed to have automatic headlights correct?
cityofglass
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SpeedySolara » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 am

To my knowledge, all Gen 1-1.5 Solara's have DRL whether its an SE, SLE, or convertible. I even think the 4 cyl Solaras have that option. As for testing the sensors, I dont know. Look at it on the bright side (no pun intended lol), at least your headlights work.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cityofglass » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:03 pm

Well the Daytime Running Lights work perfectly. They just dont switch over to full intensity when it gets dark outside. I guess I will just being it to the dealer and let them take care of it. Hopefully it will be covered by the warranty.
cityofglass
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2002 Convertible Headlights

Postby jaxsolara » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Any update on what the resolution to this was? My 02 Solara Convert SLE is doing the exact same thing. Thanks.
jaxsolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 2002 Convertible Headlights

Postby mfeisen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:29 am

I read the threads responding to your question and it appears that your problem is not with the DRL, but with your headlights not automatically turning on at dusk. If your car was purchased in Canada then it would have the auto headlights feature, but U.S. spec cars do not.
mfeisen
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5