[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How many miles on your Gen1 - Car condition?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

How many miles on your Gen1 - Car condition?

Re: How many miles on your Gen1 - Car condition?

Postby Will_treaty15 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:25 am

Year: 2000 SLE
Miles:270K+
Mechanical condition: Nearly flawless, the only problem that i can not diagnose is a "clanky" noise from the cam shafts. I measured all the cam plates to make sure they are to exact specifications and they are, it puzzles me to what it could be.
Aesthetic condition: small dent on A piller, custom painted hood and spoiler, and Kaminari body kit is on its way :lol:
Money spent fixing the essential(mods/maintenance excluded): Kaminari body kit $500, I bought it with an overheating problem it was as simple as new head gaskets, thermostast, radiator, water pump, and shaving the cylinder heads. (dad is a master michanic and auto technician for 30 years so it reduces the price) roughly $300 in repair upon purchase. Paint for the hood and spoiler all together was $400.
Before you guys post anything about how much I spent on this car with 270K miles, I know. I love this car and when the engine goes I plan on droping a 2ZZ engine (from the celica) with the 6 speed manual trans.
Will_treaty15
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ThurzNite » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:55 am

Just rolled over 250,000 miles. 1999 se v6 5sp. I'm ready to move on. Selling in the for sale thread.

Mechanically, gets about 21-24 mpg. Steering and suspension shows it's age, but not loose.

Exterior looks great after a wash. Original paint.

Interior shows signs of minor wear. To be expected.

Overall, this car looks and runs great for the miles and years it has. I hope the next owner likes it as much as I have. I also hope they continue with maintenance like I did. I think that's key to longevity.
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby D A V E » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Year: 2000
Miles: 370,000 !! :D
Mechanical condition: not bad at all
Aesthetic condition: paint on roof starting to fade, hood has some minor hail damage, overall not terrible looking at all

Money spent fixing: replaced rear struts (quickstruts), replacing front struts, replaced thermostat, and just recently we have to replace the climate control unit ... stuck on HOT, unplugged battery and now stuck on 75! Hopeing EEngineer still has his CC unit for sale! Unfortunately had to switch from synthetic to conventional oil because it was using/losing too much of the synthetic ... switched to 10w30 and solved that problem...don't know how or why, but it did. Overall since 2010 ... maybe put $1000 into her.

Major problems experienced: none so far ... annoying "clanging" from rear now front struts/mounts but overall, for $1000 it has been a VERY, VERY reliable 'Lara and, hopefully will drive her another 370000 miles!!!
D A V E
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ozone » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 pm

Year: 1999
Miles: 278,000
Mechanical condition: very good.
Aesthetic condition: very good.

I say very good, but there are reasons. We had the car repainted about 5 years ago. The rims are in pretty bad shape and because it's black it is hard to keep clean, but when it's washed and waxed it looks great.
Mechanically the girl is having some issues. A while ago, I did a whole bunch of work on the front (Tie rods, transmission, clutch, flywheel, bearing, rear seal, drive shafts, etc.) The transmission was clunking a bit and a rebuild was expensive, so I took a chance and bought a used transmission online with about 120,000 miles on it, but unfortunately it's making a nasty noise. It's been like that for more than a year, though and it's still moving fine. I took a shot and lost. Bummer. The engine runs great though and despite the transmission noise, I'd drive this car to California tomorrow (from Florida).

Just waiting for the AC to break. If it does, the car gets a 2GR-FE transplant!
World's first V6 powered AE92. . . in progress.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TheGreenDutch » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:39 am

Year: 2000 SE V6
Miles: 194,119
Mechanical condition: still smooth. good power. approaching another timing belt change. I'll probably do valve gaskets and seals, water pump and everything else associated. I dropped the car 2 inches in the front and 1.5 in the rear and replaced the tierods all around while adding a Whiteline swaybar. Handling is much flatter now and I can take turns at least what seems to be 10 mph faster thru corners changing the tires front to back 215/55/16 on my Supra sawblades also helped. A/C compressor is dead and I need to replace it before the winter. He's been parked more often as I've been driving my wifes EK civic that I modded partially because its been hot and also because the Civic is so fun to drive. I miss my boy when I see him sitting on these 90 degree days, but I still take him out on night excursions.
Aesthetic condition: Paints been good. Front bumper has some new marks from him sitting so much on the block. The rear was bumped at a Korean restaurant and I have some surface rust in the wheel wheels forming. My pass door needs some work to so all in all my exterior would be rated about a 7 out of 10 if detailed nicely.

Happy as hell my cars been good to me so I take care of him. 200K mark I'll get a major service done and hope to keep alive until he's a JNC :)
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby navarachi » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Year 1999 Solara SE V6

Miles - 206000

Asthetic - Does still have clear coat count ;) Clay bar for 200000 mile mark and it really helped alot.

Mechanical - Fantastic

Work - Valve cover gasket like 5 times, struts and shocks, egr valve,, 02 sensor twice, one wheel bearing, timing belt and water pump twice, plugs and wires... mostly just maintenance.

Still drives like a champ, very smooth. Driven daily 100 miles. Really enjoy the car still. The interior quality is far superior to my Lexus and generally more reliable. Were going to run the wheels off her

Take care friends,

Chris
navarachi
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ozone » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Still have it:
Year: 1999
Miles: 318,000
Mechanical condition: very good.
Aesthetic condition: very good.

That same transmission is doing fine.
World's first V6 powered AE92. . . in progress.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:43 am

^^^damn!
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5