[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Hows your Gen 1's Holding Up?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Hows your Gen 1's Holding Up?

Hows your Gen 1's Holding Up?

Postby Solorange » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Just curious now that some of our cars are 10 years old to see how they are aging.

My car now almost has 165k on it and is still running great for the most part. The engine and tranny run as good as new. The interior is in great condition including the leather seats. The only thing worn out is the leather on the steering wheel. Its starting to wear away pretty bad. The exterior has normal wear. The front bumper has normal road rash (chips and knicks) from the 165k it has traveled thus far. It also has the normal parking lot scratches, but I would bet my has less than most 10 year old cars as I have always been care where I parked it!

The thing only thing Im starting to notice that is bugging me is how much the suspension and chasis clunks and rattles. I figure its pretty normal for a car developing these over time. I probably have made it worse by lowering it and putting the low profile tires on it, but it definatly has develop more clunks and rattles from the normal expected extra road noise you get when you do those things to your car.

Oh almost forgot my clutch pedal creaks whenever I press it in until the car warms up. I hear the sound coming from the outside of the car.

How are your gen 1's holding up to their age?
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Hows your Gen 1's Holding Up?

Postby mig0s » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:40 pm

1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 am

yep my suspension does the same and my clutch does the same thing lol
looks like you and I have the same problems with the car.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby mig0s » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:19 am

^^

My clutch squeaks too but I don't think it's a problem... it's just squeaky =.=
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Solorange » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 pm

mig0s wrote:http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49647

:D

eh somewhat similar! Thanks
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Mr_Krispy1183 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:10 pm

My leather steering wheel's definitely seen better days. As for the creaking, I can kinda second that, but then again, I am on coilovers on full-stiffness. When compared to my Datsun, however, my nitpicks are neglgible!
'01 zenki MCV20 Silverstream Opalescent
Mr_Krispy1183
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby MisterTedster » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

I get suspension clunking here and there. My main annoyance is that my subwoofer makes me notice interior rattles that would be otherwise unnoticed. I'm running 1600 watts through a 15" subwoofer in case you were wondering, and yes, thats watts rms, not max.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby iDOPEY » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:51 pm

My mom had the ball joint replaced or something like that in the back right side and we needed a new flex pipe and this is all work done in the past year and the car only has 83,000 miles on it

Problems now is a squeaky serpentine belt when first started in the morning and the window wouldn't roll down for a day but now it works fine.

The car is a 2002 and it's really good to see it holding up so well (knock on wood) but whatever is bound to go wrong, i hope it does it before my mom and i make the switch in the spring. she's getting a 2 door lexus since toyota decided to not make a two door car and i officially will get the solara
iDOPEY
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby highmileage02sleConv » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 am

I just hit 168K on my 02 Convertible and its seen better days. The suspension and the car (windshield and top area) squeak in unison. The seats seem to be somewhat loose and some of the dash lights are burn out. Had the serpentine belt replaced last year. Im also having EVAP system issues... I wish it ran on regular gas
2002 SLE V6 Convertible 172,600 Miles! Black on what used to be Beige and in need a of a new top!
highmileage02sleConv
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jay 3rd » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:23 pm

lol i never use premium gas i always regular.. and i only use shell. does it really matter?
lets see i have 99 SLE with 154,000 miles and i have a lot of codes.. which u can find in this same section.. running lean and random misfires.
i have that clunking also.. i know i have to replace all the struts.. plannin on getting KYB gr2's i owned some before and they were great.
i had a solara as my first car a while ago and it was great and crap happened so had to sell it for money.. so now i finally got another one and had it for 2 months now.. i got it and it was great.. now the CEL is freaking out so it has me stressed and freaking out cuz i know when it blinks its not good.
if u guys can help me out on my other post it would be great.. i kno these cars are great i just bought it from someone that didnt feel liek doing the maitence on it so i took over
Jay 3rd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby AnglerfisH » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:09 pm

At 102,000 on my '00, no real issues so far. Car is in really great shape for its age.
Philips X-treme Power halogens
K&N drop filter
AnglerfisH
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby andrew_alfonso » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:54 pm

About 155K on my 01. Only thing I had replaced 6 months ago was the 02 sensor. Yes, the CEL came on, pulled out the code from Autozone and bought the O2 sensor (OEM) online. I could hear some minor rattling on the front end, center armrest console is showing discoloration, but other than normal tire replacement and regular maintenance, this lara is going really strong.....as I plan to drive this work car until 300++K miles.
01 Solara SE I4 Hardtop
11 Pilot Touring 4WD
andrew_alfonso
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby balow34 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:30 pm

My 99 beauty was holding up just well until December of 2010. Just about to push over 197,000 miles on it...yes, I do a lot of driving. It seems like most of you are hitting around 160K to 165K. Overall the car is running well with the exception of the post I made today about having issues with burning oil.

Had to personally replace all 4 shock/strut combos in November (nice to have friends to work in the automotive field and have access to a lift and countless tools); otherwise (knock on wood) the car has run really well for me. Unfortunately between the shocks/struts and the burning oil I'm having right now I fear this is the start of things to come on the vehicle. Bear in mind it spent most of it's life in SE Michigan and mid-Ohio so it's been exposed to cold, harsh winters at times and an awful lot of salty roads!!

I was not the original owner of the vehicle, it was originally purchased in 1999 by someone in Georgia then shipped to a dealership in 2001 in Michigan where I bought it with 32K miles. While in Georgia the car was modified to have a fully electric sunroof/moonroof put in the car. I have personally installed Euro-style tail lights, TRD exhaust system and also an Apex-i air-intake system.

I have a feeling by this time next year I'll be strutting along in something else sadly enough.
balow34
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby solaraqueen » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:04 pm

167,000 miles never had any codes, interior still in great shape, clunks could be strut mounts are worn out, i replaced mine no more clunkin..
solaraqueen
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SPICA1750 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:49 am

My 2000 solara is doing amazing for 183,000. Paint is amazing. No check engine lights what so ever. But for some reason my window on my drivers side door hits the top of the molding on the car and doesn't shut right when the window is up all the way.. No clicks, clacks, or clunks!
2000 Toyota Solara SE<aftermarket exhaust>
1995 BMW 525i..(sold)
SPICA1750
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5