[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 99 Solara Brake Booster Hissing
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

99 Solara Brake Booster Hissing

99 Solara Brake Booster Hissing

Postby Gooseguy84 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:46 am

Think I posted this topic in the wrong forum, so re-posting it here - Thanks in advance for the help.

1999 Solara with approx 130K miles. Brakes feel fine, but had a check engine light and the brake booster area under the hood is hissing. Check engine said a misfire in cylinder 1?, having taken the brake booster vacuum line off, the hissing gets worse all the air going though the line, put my finger over it, gets sucked in pretty good and the hissing goes away, put it back onto the brake booster and the hissing goes away slightly but you can still hear it. When you press the brakes the hissing goes away. Also blew into both ends of the vacuum hose, check valve seems to be working good as you cant blow past the check valve. Have not put a gage onto the end of the vacuum hose as I dont have a gage, but would a low vacuum pressure make a hissing? Guessing the diaphragm/seal in the booster went bad?

That being said, I'm not a car expert so please help. If it needs a new booster, does anyone have good institutions for replacing it at home? Thanks!!!
1999 Two-Tone Solara
Gooseguy84
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 99 Solara Brake Booster Hissing

Postby Gooseguy84 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:32 am

OK, was reading a bit more and had the brake depressed when I shut the car off. The brake got much harder and pushed my foot up. From reading the forum this also points to a bad brake booster. One thing that has come up on a lot of the posts it seems to reference the gasket between the master cylinder and the brake booster. Is there a good way to tell if just the gasket needs to be replaced of if the entire brake booster needs to be replaced.

Thanks
1999 Two-Tone Solara
Gooseguy84
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby dug320 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:24 am

Excellent trouble shooting.

Sometimes the plastic connector and or the seal between the hose and the booster cracks and starts to leak vacuum. Simply twist and pull the plastic connector off the booster with the hose still attached and run the engine. Plug the hole. Any hissing indicates a cracked connector.

At that time look at the seal. It should not have any cracks. To test the seal put it all together and run the engine. If you have any hissing twist the the connector. It the hissing changes the seal needs to be replaced.

Both are cheap compared to the booster. But then most booster replacements do have new ones.

A booster replacement is relatively straight forward swap. I have used rebuilt cardone boosters with excellent success.

The gasket should be integral with the booster and cannot (unless things have changed) be serviced.
dug320
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby roger182nd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Dug,
If I may, I have a slightly different problem. My dealership has informed me that my brake booster requires replacing. I am dubious...
1st - I hear no hissing at all.. Not under the hood, nor under the dashboard.
2nd My brakes are fine.. No decreasing braking power.

What my brakes are doing is this:
After I come to a complete stop. ( which happens normally) I press on the gas pedal.. at that time, there is an audible, and physical thump- which you can feel in the brake pedal. It doesn't happen all the time.
Would a brake booster cause this? Or a sticking caliper?
roger182nd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby dug320 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:39 am

Here are the power booster tests

Test 1

1. With the engine off, pump the brake pedal to remove any residual vacuum in the booster.
2. Hold pressure on the pedal while you start the engine. When the engine starts, the pedal should drop about a 1/4", this indicates that the booster is working properly.

Test 2

1. Run the engine a couple of minutes.
2. Turn the engine off and press the pedal several times slowly. The first pump should be fairly low. The second and third should become slightly firmer. This indicates an airtight booster.

Test 3

1. Start the engine and press the brake pedal, then stop the engine with the pedal still pressed. If the pedal does not drop after holding the pressure on the pedal for 30 seconds, the booster is airtight.

Inspect the Check Valve

1. Disconnect the vacuum hose where it connects to the intake manifold. Do not disconnect the vacuum line from the booster. Air should not flow when pressure is applied, but should flow when suction is applied. If air flows in both directions or there is no air flow, the valve needs to be replaced.

Verify Vacuum

1. Check the operating vacuum pressure when the engine is at normal operating temperature. There should be a minimum of 18 in. of vacuum. Vacuum may be increased by properly tuning the engine, checking for vacuum leaks and blockages in vacuum lines.

If you pass all the tests it is not the power booster. A thump could be anything. I would look at each strut and the strut mounts, at the same time look at the calipers. The bolts could be loose and or the strut mounts worn out. Next the cv joints. Look at the boots and see if they are intact. Have a look at the ball joints for any play.

Have patience and use the process of elimination.
dug320
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gooseguy84 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:22 am

Hi guys, been a while, but still need to do a little troubleshooting. Spending more time on this, I discovered there was a "leak" the hissing sound was coming from where the gasket was on the bottom side. When I put my finger under there, you could feel the air being sucked in and the sound changed. '

Being that the "leak" was coming from the gasket area, I ordered 2 gaskets very cheap form the Toyota dealer and got them in. Changed one out yesterday (picture attached of the old one and the extra replacement). Speaking with the Toyota dealer they said there was no sealant/liquid/silicone that is applied to the gasket before being installed. Got the new gasket in and the car feels the same, and you can still feel the "leak" on the bottom side of the break booster. ALSO, now when you push the breaks really hard you head a very high pitch screeching. This is not head under normal driving conditions and break use, only when pushed very very hard when parked.

Thanks in advance.

1999 Two-Tone Solara
Gooseguy84
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Gooseguy84 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:59 pm

So I took the brake booster apart again and took some additional photos and put a description under each. Hopefully these help determine the problem.

This is the bottom side of the master cylinder. The area that you can feel the air being sucked in is right where the groove is. It seems that the groove is from the factory though?

The new Gasket installed.

New Gasket - Looks like the boot inside the booster is ripped?? Im also guessing that should not be rusty? Does that mean there is brake fluid leaking from the master cylinder also?

Thanks
1999 Two-Tone Solara
Gooseguy84
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ThurzNite » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 am

Just wondering if u had any updates. I have the same hiss at the bottom of the mating surface where you pointed that score in the master cyl. I think it was an issue with 99 Solaras because the part numbers for 2000 Solara changed. There are no Tech Service bulletins about brake boosters for our year. However, there *is* one for newer models 2007.
I need to get that gasket, do u have a link to where I can get it? Thanks!
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gregtrd » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am

your booster is shot, on the last picture you post you can see the booster seal busted, a vacuum leak will cause your car to run lean.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ThurzNite » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Did a quick search on this forum, seems like the majority brake booster issues are in the 99 models. As Greg mentioned, I think the gasket's weak, leaking water in, which damaged the seal.
I just ordered a lifetime warranty brake booster for under $50 shipped, hopefully get it in a few days and throw it in there.
As for running lean, I get p0401 once a year, and ping when running less than premium, or crappy gas like CostCo premium. I need to look at my Smog results again, too. Thanks for the info Greg!
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby solara90 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:27 am

in my case my master cylinder was leaking which caused the brake booster to develop a leak.
02 solara 2az

solara90
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SpeedySolara » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:21 am

Do any of you have traction control?
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ThurzNite » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:37 pm

No traction control, i'm 5sp.

I received the replacement power booster... it, too, has a broken seal. What a waste of time and money (I have to pay for shipping back, then I get a refund, refund not including shipping costs both ways. FTL.)

Before I send it back, I'll take a pic to show the seal that's broke. I guess I'll suck it up and buy reman. Any leads on affordable remans?

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gregtrd » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 am

I have a spare booster from some of the many part outs I've done in the past,if anyones interested pm me.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ThurzNite » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:30 pm

ThurzNite wrote:No traction control, i'm 5sp.

I received the replacement power booster... it, too, has a broken seal. What a waste of time and money (I have to pay for shipping back, then I get a refund, refund not including shipping costs both ways. FTL.)

Before I send it back, I'll take a pic to show the seal that's broke. I guess I'll suck it up and buy reman. Any leads on affordable remans?

Dr J

Got an update, guy is sending me another one... we'll see if it's any better. The junk yard is MN, everything there rusts prematurely (compared to CA). Not sure what to do with the old one, can it be rebuilt?

Greg, I'm interested in yours too. I sent you PM, lemme know how much and paypal addy.

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5