[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - struts etc
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

struts etc

struts etc

Postby mettler » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:14 pm

can someone recommend a set-up. I have searched on here and wanted the TRD set, but they aren't available anymore. I was hoping to stay around $500. any suggestions would be great..thanks
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ice-Dragon-Cooling/139536759426738
mettler
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: struts etc

Postby DSM_Lara » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 pm

LOL Greg us selling a TRD Strut Brand NEW!!!
Bought one set from him Highly recommend.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50707
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Akfahad » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:02 pm

first set of struts I ever got were Tokico blue's...i enjoyed them.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby mettler » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:15 am

should I get anything else..any mounts? I remember reading about a dampening thing?

thanks
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ice-Dragon-Cooling/139536759426738
mettler
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DSM_Lara » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 am

Replace all mounts when changing struts.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby solaraqueen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:46 pm

mettler wrote:can someone recommend a set-up. I have searched on here and wanted the TRD set, but they aren't available anymore. I was hoping to stay around $500. any suggestions would be great..thanks

gregtrd has trd & tokico's for sale, hit him up.....
solaraqueen
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby CoolguyAT » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:45 am

Question - i've been told by a couple of mechanics that my front struts probably need to be replaced but i've also had a couple tell me that it's not that bad and I could still go for a little while longer. My car is a 99 and has 133K - it does ride a little rough and honestly I never had any issues until I moved to Houston a year and a half ago. I love Houston but the roads are not very well maintained, LOL. Any advice on how to tell when to replace? I was told the struts are original to when the car was built.
CoolguyAT
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby solaraqueen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:32 am

the roads in houston.....
solaraqueen
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 pm

If you don't mind the current handling or ride quality, you probably don't need to replace anything yet.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby CoolguyAT » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:19 pm

The car seems to handle fine on the highway - however I live in the city where the roads are not well maintained. Could it be that my car is fine but happens to ride rough when I go over potholes or areas of the road where it's not well maintained?
CoolguyAT
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Yeah, I'd say that's normal with most cars. Also, the TRD struts aren't for comfort, so they probably wouldn't help you.
Ask one of the dudes with TRD struts and see what their opinion is.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby CoolguyAT » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:20 am

oh okay - what are TRD struts? I am kind of new to car lingo, LOL. I was told by one mechanic that the Solara was designed by Toyota to ride like a cadillac, don't know how true that is though. Regardless I am probably going to push getting the struts replaced until August or September since I just found out today I need to have some dental work done - ugh.
CoolguyAT
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby unbalancedwood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 am

The Solara wont 'ride like a Caddy' nor a Lexus, espically when you change out the suspension to an aftermarket set. It does have some decent insulation/noise dampening, look good, and the style is very good for a 10 year car.

If your not looking at changing the springs (lowering) then I would go with Tokico Blue HPs, you can find on ebay for around $350 and will be a very nice stock replacement.
If you are looking to lower your Solara, I would still go with the Tokico Blues. You can match with most any spring to get a nice lowered ride for around 600$

Nothing will make you enjoy a "smooth" to ride on the 'back roads' that your describing.
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby tommyd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:58 am

The Roads in Houston ,, whaah.. This was just last week.... ( imagine if that was your Solara in the hole)

This is from a real news story from Houston 02/08/20011...http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=7946657

Yeah , I think you can say the roads down here are a bit rough at times....
tommyd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DSM_Lara » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:24 am

uummmm Go to that like I posted Greg selling some struts.

Gregtrd wrote:UPDATED

Okay ladies here are some goodies that I need to get rid of:prices are local pick up
SOLD-TRD Strut bar $120.00 rare
-TRD Struts NEW $500 even more rare.
-TRD White face NEW boost gauge discontinued $90
-Tokico struts with only 20k miles $180.
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5