[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Trouble Starting When Hot
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Trouble Starting When Hot

Trouble Starting When Hot

Postby yota » Wed May 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1999 Solara, V6 and manual tranny. It's got just over 175k kms on it (so just under 110k miles). It's given me 3 trouble-free years, including a recent drive from Vancouver to Las Vegas and back, but it's developed a recent problem starting when warm. On a few occasions in the past month I've shut it off, but then had to start it up right away. It'll crank, but won't turn over. If I let it sit for a minute or so it'll fire right up, so this isn't the end of the world, but as summer approaches I want to get this dealt with. It's never given me any problems starting while cold. Battery is good, plugs and wires are fairly new, and the temp gauge never gets above mid-point. Here are the times it's given me grief lately:

1) Prior to 3000 mile roadtrip, about a month ago I drove ~50 miles (mostly highway). Stopped to get gas. Shut car off at pump, realized pump was broken, tried to restart car to move to next pump. It wouldn't turn over (I suspected it was out of gas and just pushed it up to the next pump). Filled it up and it started up no problem.

2) While on 3000 mile roadtrip last week. Finished day of driving ~500 miles (all highway). Stopped at restaurant. Realized restaurant was closed, went to re-start car. It wouldn't turn over. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes. Tried again. It fired right up.

3) This morning, drove ~5 miles to work. Parked car. Got out, realized I had done a piss-poor job of parking it. Got in to start and move car. It wouldn't turn over. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes, tried again and it fired right up.

I'm thinking of starting by cleaning the IAC and MAF, but wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions? I'm do things like rotate my tires, change my plugs and oil, but not a heck of a lot else. I searched the archives but didn't find anything exactly like this problem. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!
yota
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Trouble Starting When Hot

Postby 99trollaraSLE » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Search for "how to clean throttle body." I had the exact same problem. I just cleaned the throttle body and noticed a significant improvement all around and the "hot start" problem hasn't reappeared so far. Apparently, alot of folks have the same problem and the majority of the time it is that the throttle body is gummed up with carbon buildup. Its really easy to clean and a cheap fix. I'd do that first. I haven't had the warm weather to see if it has solved my problem, but from the driving i've done so far, I haven't had an inkling of the problem. Not to mention, my accelerator pedal feels much cleaner during acceleration, my idle is smoother, and I have a nice even resistance on the pedal.
You get what you pay for is a phrase for those intellectually incapable of securing a great bargain
99trollaraSLE
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Down2TheC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:31 pm

http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby corlon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:38 pm

when you say " won't turn over" do you mean the starter is not engaging? or the engine is turning over, trying to start but doesn't?
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThatVietGuy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:38 am

Topic's almost a year old...
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:38 pm

lol wow. FAIL!
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby TheGreenDutch » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:00 am

old thread but I bet it was the starter!
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5