[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Broken valve cover bolts
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Broken valve cover bolts

Broken valve cover bolts

Postby ozone » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:33 pm

I did quite a bit of reading on people replacing their valve covers. I torque everything I can get my torque wrench on. The book called out 33 ft-lbs, but I broke off a bolt in the head when I tried to do that. After that I decided to tighten them by feel and easily snapped another one. I have bought all new bolts, but it seems to me that 33 ft-lbs is quite a lot. It took quite a bit of effort to get the broken bits out and now I don't want to break another one.

Did anyone who changed their valve covers torque them on? If so, to what value? Did they leak afterward?
World's first V6 powered AE92. . . in progress.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Broken valve cover bolts

Postby 02slera » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Torque: 8 N·m (80 kgf·cm, 69 in.·lbf)
dont torque any one bolt all the way, use several passes to uniformly tighten all of them.
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ozone » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Wow! That little.

I already did it. I know about using the pattern and drawing it down bit by bit. I wound up doing it by hand. I hope my hand is properly calibrated. Anyway, I didn't break any bolts and it is snug. Only time will tell if it leaks.

Thanks for your input though.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ozone » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:59 pm

I just checked the book again and sure enough, I was looking at the 5SFE torque spec! Man, I hate it when I do that. The 1mzfe agrees with what you posted. Thanks for that.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby minig646 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:31 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just broke one of my valve cover bolts and my mechanic says it isn't possible to extract it. It's gonna be $700 to replace the whole thing. This doesn't seem right to me, so how did you extract yours? Thanks for any info you can give me.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Brandoe91 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm

$700 sounds steep.Not sure why it would be $700. A pair of 1mz-fe rebuilt heads only cost $300 on ebay and the vavle covers are much less.

Possible solutions
If you have a drill you can try this at your own risk. http://www.madelectrical.com/workshop/b ... olts.shtml
or
Call or Check a cylinder head or machine shop in your town, some might offer bolt extraction service
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby minig646 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks for the info. I followed those steps and I went through 3 drill bits but eventually I got deep enough for the extractor to catch and it came right out. Got a new bolt at the stealership and I'm good to go.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Brandoe91 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:37 pm

No problem. Glad to see you got it fixed.
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5