[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Brakes clunking noise
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Brakes clunking noise

Brakes clunking noise

Postby Black_rainbow2003 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:34 am

So the other day the caliper sticks on my 99 Solara, bring to the garage and they replace caliper, pads and rotor in rear passenger side. Picked up the car and could hear a clunking noise that comes and goes after I apply and release the brakes, sounds like it's coming from the same rear pasanger side area. Return to the garage, tell them about the clunking noise and they replace bushings. Clunking noise is still there, it goes away when I apply the brakes, when brake are released, I hear the noise. Sounds like something is still sticking.

Any ideas before I return to the garage again??

Thanks
Black_rainbow2003
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Brakes clunking noise

Postby SleeperSolara » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:51 am

Black_rainbow2003 wrote:So the other day the caliper sticks on my 99 Solara, bring to the garage and they replace caliper, pads and rotor in rear passenger side. Picked up the car and could hear a clunking noise that comes and goes after I apply and release the brakes, sounds like it's coming from the same rear pasanger side area. Return to the garage, tell them about the clunking noise and they replace bushings. Clunking noise is still there, it goes away when I apply the brakes, when brake are released, I hear the noise. Sounds like something is still sticking.

Thanks

Sounds like the bolts on the calipers are loose.
I've done that before....
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby ThurzNite » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 am

For discussion, I say it's the sway bar end links.
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Black_rainbow2003 wrote:So the other day the caliper sticks on my 99 Solara, bring to the garage and they replace caliper, pads and rotor in rear passenger side. Picked up the car and could hear a clunking noise that comes and goes after I apply and release the brakes, sounds like it's coming from the same rear pasanger side area. Return to the garage, tell them about the clunking noise and they replace bushings. Clunking noise is still there, it goes away when I apply the brakes, when brake are released, I hear the noise. Sounds like something is still sticking.

Thanks

Do you have a TRD rear sway bar installed???? if so is it on the track setting ????
02 5spd Engine scattered, working on a 3MZ S/C set-up
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5