[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Bad transmission, mount, or something else?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Bad transmission, mount, or something else?

Bad transmission, mount, or something else?

Postby SpeedySolara » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:54 pm

When I put my car in reverse I get a big jolt, usually at startup but throughout the day sometimes I get a subtle/minor movement. Additionally, when changing gears (automatic) I feel a minor jolt but sometimes I don't feel it at all. There doesn't seem to be any slippage or hesitation in the response of the transmission. When I downshift I do get a jolt but it really depends on the RPM range on how hard it'll be. My guess is its one of the mounts but I wouldn't know which one needs replacing or if its another issue altogether. Could someone please point me in the right direction on what the issue might be? Thank you in advance.
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Bad transmission, mount, or something else?

Postby Brandoe91 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:33 am

Check the bushing of all the mounts

1) The start with the dogbone as it is easiest one to see and replace. (right side passenger strut)

2) Take off the passenger side wheel or turn it all the way to where you can see the rear mount, the bushing should be solid and the bolt in the middle should be centered.

3) If those two are good most likely it's the front mount. To check this by using something (block or jack)to hold the engine up, next pull the bolt above the front mount, there will be a metal piece sticking out of the mount, shake side to side, if it's really loose replace it.

4)I doubt its the tranny mount but check to be sure.( it rests on the subframe behind the driver side wheel

I have the same prob in my es300. The dogmount and the rear mount was recently replaced but I still have the heavy jolt when i shift to reverse, so it cud be that my front and/or tranny mount were bad as well.

Note: If you do have to replace any of the mounts, it's best to get it from dealer if you can afford to. I am tired of those cheap bushing/mounts on ebay, they don't last long.check all mounts because if 2 are bad and only one is replaced. The one replaced will most likely break again.done blabbing now
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ThurzNite » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:53 pm

How's your tranny fluid?
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SpeedySolara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 pm

I did a transmission flush at the dealership roughly 3 months ago.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PaulR » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Mine does this as well to a certain extent. I haven't investigated this issue or checked the mounts at all. How many miles does yours have on it?
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SpeedySolara » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:39 pm

PaulR wrote:Mine does this as well to a certain extent. I haven't investigated this issue or checked the mounts at all. How many miles does yours have on it?

Like 110K. If you do fix yours, please let me know what mount/part you replaced. Thank you.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PaulR » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:20 am

SpeedySolara wrote:
PaulR wrote:Mine does this as well to a certain extent. I haven't investigated this issue or checked the mounts at all. How many miles does yours have on it?

Like 110K. If you do fix yours, please let me know what mount/part you replaced. Thank you.

Will do. Please let me know if you fix yours what the problem was.

I have 204K on mine. I have to do an oil change soon and so I think I will drain and refill the transmission to see if it helps. I know of only one strut (passenger side) replaced on the car in the past, haven't had it for too long.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby scdsolara619 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:25 am

Mine is doing something similar (intermittently). If I shift from park into Rev or Drive it engages really harsh, like a jolt. Also while driving and on upshifts only it will kick/jolt a little, but never on downshifts for me. But I've also been trying to fugure out my long term problem with the speedo dropping to "0" while driving and check engine light coming on (P0500 - Speed Sensor Circuit). I was thinking that my intermittent trans jolts may be related to that to a certain extent.
02 SE V6 (S/C) AT
scdsolara619
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby S.Z.-Alpha » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:06 pm

You know, it happens to me as well, and in the old cars I have driven with automatics, it's possibly the torque converter being too loose. What I do to stop the jolts is to shift to the gear youre going to then quickly put it to neutral right before it engages to the gear youre going to and then put it on the gear your going to run on. I think it's a matter of slippage. Everytime so I wouldnt get that jolt when reversing I do this P >R>RIGHT BEFORE IT ENGAGES> N > R (Run) = No jolt.
2000 Toyota Solara a.k.a "Goldie" SLE V6 //PARTS: TRD Muffler w/ Stock pipes, K&N filter, Tokico Blue Shocks w/ Stock Springs, Kenwood H/U with x4 JVC speakers(250x2 Front and 290x2 Rear) w/ JL 1000 watt amp.
S.Z.-Alpha
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SpeedySolara » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Quick update...its my rear mount. I haven't replaced it yet but when I do I'll let you guys know if the jolt went away. By the way, do any of you have a P0420 code?
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PaulR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:44 pm

SpeedySolara wrote:Quick update...its my rear mount. I haven't replaced it yet but when I do I'll let you guys know if the jolt went away. By the way, do any of you have a P0420 code?

Hey SpeedySolara,

I just responded to your other thread for the P0420 code. I actually just had my transmission rebuilt and it does the same thing. Apparently, the only thing that can be adjusted to help the issue is the transmission kick down cable, which adjusts line pressure. Please let me know if the rear mount solves the issue. We have two other (newer) Toyotas in my family, and they all jolt somewhat into reverse.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Brandoe91 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:55 am

Check the front mount when replacing the rear. Bad front mount with new rear mount = all bad mounts in a couple months .

SpeedySolara wrote:Quick update...its my rear mount. I haven't replaced it yet but when I do I'll let you guys know if the jolt went away. By the way, do any of you have a P0420 code?
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5