[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Wheel wobble when braking
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Wheel wobble when braking

Wheel wobble when braking

Postby KingKevin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:37 pm

So when im braking I get steering wheel wobble. It happens more when im going faster (40-60mph) Any ideas what this could be. I know my passenger side sway bar end link is loose, but I dont think thats the issue...
2001 SE V6

Injen intake w/ extension - Renova Grill - custom catback exhaust - 2 12" Kenwood subs - Tein s tech - neons - 8000k headlights - 3000k fogs
KingKevin
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Wheel wobble when braking

Postby PaulR » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Sounds like one or more rotors are warped. This is a common symptom when rotors become warped.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:10 pm

here's some info on warped rotors.....

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby pwizzle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:16 pm

I had the same issue a few years back. I just replaced the front rotors and pads and the brake wobble went away. I can start to feel it slightly coming back but I might just get new pads and resurface the rotors.
"To be is to do" - Plato
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra
"Scooby Dooby Dooo!!" - Scooby Doo
pwizzle
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chriscarter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:36 am

The cause of your vibration is definitely a warped rotor (or both). If you have them resurfaced (turned at a shop), only do that once. Each time you resurface a rotor, you remove some of the metal. Doing so allows it to run slightly hotter and thus warp again more easily under hard braking. If you have already resurfaced your rotors once and they start causing wobbling again, it's time to replace them.

Of course, it's proper to replace the pads when you either resurface or replace your rotors, but if you're on a tight budget and your pads still have more than half their usable life on them, you can reinstall them without compromising safety. Be sure to lube the caliper slides when reassembling.
chriscarter

Postby SubjectAlpha » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Most likely it's warped rotor(s). If there's enough metal left, they can machine them smooth again, otherwise they should be replaced. Mine is in the shop having this done as I write this. About $620 + tax for four new rotors, new pads and a brake flush. Money well spent if it keeps this champ running another 80,000 miles. Engine and drivetrain are still perfect!
SubjectAlpha
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5