[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Fluid Sitting on Top of Transmission
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Fluid Sitting on Top of Transmission

Re: Fluid Sitting on Top of Transmission

Postby chriscarter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Check fluid when warm, if it's OK...either don't park in the same place or put a piece of cardboard under the car to check for continuing leaks. You should be alright.
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:07 pm

chriscarter wrote:Check fluid when warm, if it's OK...either don't park in the same place or put a piece of cardboard under the car to check for continuing leaks. You should be alright.

Thanks for your help. I just checked it and the fluid is halfway up the dipstick. To clarify, not halfway up to the mark of Hot on the dipstick, halfway up the actual dipstick. I am thinking maybe I need to take out at least 1.5 quarts?
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:24 pm

That sounds about right. It will be messy, but try to take out 1 quart, then check again. Did you take off the pan and replace the filter also? If not, it may be smart to just sacrifice that fluid.....change the filter, then refill with 3.7 qts of fresh ATF-IV fluid. Get yourself a shop manual also.....I like Haynes (reasonable) or Toyota (expensive). Both available from Amazon.
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Just wanted to report back and say I took out a quart or so and the jolt on downshift issue is gone. I will check the level again soon, but I think should be good for a while.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5