[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - RPMs Drop?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

RPMs Drop?

RPMs Drop?

Postby PaulR » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:04 am

Hi everyone,

I am having an odd issue with my car. When I am at about 40 MPH or higher and let off the gas, the engine will go to idle speed and then back to the appropriate speed. I have found a video online where the same issue occurs around 1:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0_JEX7 ... r_embedded

Has anyone has this issue with their Solara, and, if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks for your help!
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: RPMs Drop?

Postby chriscarter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm guessing you have an automatic? Check all transmission kickdown cable adjustments. That speed range is about where you would normally be shifting into high, but if the passing gear kickdown cable isn't adjusted properly it can fool the auto trans. Just an thought. Without any more details have to eliminate one suspect at a time.

Has any work been done recently that would coincide with this problem or did it just start happening on its own?
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:11 am

chriscarter wrote:I'm guessing you have an automatic? Check all transmission kickdown cable adjustments. That speed range is about where you would normally be shifting into high, but if the passing gear kickdown cable isn't adjusted properly it can fool the auto trans. Just an thought. Without any more details have to eliminate one suspect at a time.

Has any work been done recently that would coincide with this problem or did it just start happening on its own?

Thanks for your help. The issue has been happening for a while, not coincided with any repairs. How can I check the transmission kickdown cable? Is it a huge job? My Chilton's manual mentions a throttle cable and shift cable - is this something different?
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PaulR » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:37 pm

I adjusted the kickdown cable just a few minutes ago and, although it shifts smoother then it did, this did not solve the problem. Any ideas to what else I should check? Thanks.

Also, for anyone adjusting the cable, the Chilton's manual mentions to have an assistant hold down the gas pedal while you adjust the cable. The cable should be adjusted with the pedal released, not with someone holding down the pedal. If you adjust it all the way tight, you will have extremely firm "performance" type shifts. The distance between the metal "bearing marker" on the cable and the rubber stopper should be between 0 and 1 mm when adjusted to factory specifications.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:09 am

How long ago were the fluid and filer changed? Your problem may have nothing to do with the automatic, but that's the easiest place to start and eliminate many variables.

Have you noticed whether you get any warning lights or other intermitent signals when this happens? Does the radio change, do the lights dim when driving at night, any jerking or just loss of power?
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 am

chriscarter wrote:How long ago were the fluid and filer changed? Your problem may have nothing to do with the automatic, but that's the easiest place to start and eliminate many variables.

Have you noticed whether you get any warning lights or other intermitent signals when this happens? Does the radio change, do the lights dim when driving at night, any jerking or just loss of power?

Funny you mention a fluid change. I drained my fluid about a month ago and overfilled it by about 2.3 quarts. It released about a quart itself on the top of the transmission and I siphoned out a quart. My dipstick is bent and I have one on order at the dealer to get an accurate fluid reading. However, this issue started before I changed out the fluid in the pan. after adjusting the kickdown cable, I notices it doesn't drop as much at 60 or so as it used to?

Thanks for all of your help, Chris.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:55 pm

No charge!
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:50 pm

I just noticed I forgot to actually answer your question. The electrical system is pretty strong, and the lights only dim at night when I use the window switches. There isn't any jerking that I notice. It still does it badly (worse than the video) at 40 or 50. Could this be the throttle position sensor or the idle air control motor?
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 am

Possibly dirty contacts in the TPS. Wouldn't think IAC.
chriscarter

Postby Solarizona » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46 pm

I had the same problem a while back. For me, it was a bad EGR sensor.
TRD Bodykit, Eibach, Tokico, BBS, OBX headers/y-pipe, Custom 2.5" Magnaflow/Dynomax, PowerStop, Goodridge, AFE.
Solarizona
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby PaulR » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks for your help guys. Is there a way I can diagnose that the EGR sensor or throttle position sensor is bad? The only reason I would not believe it to be the TPS is I don't have any other symptoms and the pedal is extremely responsive.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:33 am

back probe the connectors and check voltage
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby PaulR » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:49 am

1gSE wrote:back probe the connectors and check voltage

Hey 1gSE,

Thanks for your help. I tried a new EGR position sensor and it didn't make a difference. The connectors on the back have some kind of circular insulation I can't remove (I don't think) to probe the connectors with. After the EGR position sensor, what would be the most likely culprit?
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PaulR » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:04 am

I also found another video that is more like what mine does, except I am not going 80: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoudjgxB2NY
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:42 am

Stop throwing parts at the problem and check error codes with an OBD-II reader.
chriscarter

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5