[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Returning Toyota Owner?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Are you an owner of a previous Toyota vehicle before your Solara or Camry?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 13

Returning Toyota Owner?

Returning Toyota Owner?

Postby administrator » Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:25 pm

Out of curiosity...
administrator
Administrator
Administrator

Postby administrator » Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:08 am

I had a black '91 Camry V6 LE before I got the Solara. I loved that Camry, the most reliable machine I've ever owned (still have to see about the Solara, I only have 7400 miles on it). Just put gas in the Camry and go (and take to regular check-ups). That's why I went Toyota again (plus the Solara is just a kick butt car!)
administrator
Administrator
Administrator

Postby onefiend » Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:45 pm

I have previously owned a 88 Civic LX, then a 98 Camry LE, and now I have a 2001 Solara SE.... Toyotas's are very reliable (in my opinion all Japanese cars are reiable).
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Kenn157 » Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:52 pm

My first Toyota was a 1982 Corolla SR5 coupe. Then I got a 1985 Corolla SR5. Then :D 1986 Corolla GTS. Then the 1988 Camry LE. Now the 1999 Solara :wink:
Had a 99 Solara SE V6. Had a 06 Tacoma. Now I have a 2008 Camry SE V6
Kenn157
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby cdssolara » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:08 pm

This is the first Toyota I've ever owned. I've had a Honda and a Nissan, previously. They all have their good points, but I'm probably enjoying this car more than any other. A lot of that has to do with the modifications I've been putting on it. This is the first car that I've ever seriously modified.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Chris A » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:24 am

I had a 2001 Celica GTS that I just loved.. :cry:

Now I have a Solara SLE that I am learning to love.. Miss the kick of the lift though.. Not sure where to go with the handling on the solara though feels a little soft... In all though this car is a much plusher car IMO.
Chris A
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby onefiend » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:16 pm

hey Chris what happened to the 2001 GTS?!

I was gonna get a Celica GT in 2001 but after test driving it I felt that I was too tall for the car and got a Solara SE.
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Chris A » Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:42 am

onefiend wrote:hey Chris what happened to the 2001 GTS?!

I was gonna get a Celica GT in 2001 but after test driving it I felt that I was too tall for the car and got a Solara SE.

Too much speed around a curve in the country when a big dog ran out in front. rolled her a few times.. http://home.attbi.com/~arlt/roll1.jpg :cry: It was all a reaction the dog was big enough that he would have went through the windshield... Car sat real low and the tires caught in the dirt on the shoulder and over she went.. I walked away with a sore shoulder and covered in dirt. Only the sunroof and back window were left in the car.
Women can fake orgasms but men can fake whole relationships.
Chris A
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ultramookie » Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:32 pm

Chris A wrote:
onefiend wrote:hey Chris what happened to the 2001 GTS?!

Too much speed around a curve in the country when a big dog ran out in front. rolled her a few times.. http://home.attbi.com/~arlt/roll1.jpg :cry: It was all a reaction the dog was big enough that he would have went through the windshield... Car sat real low and the tires caught in the dirt on the shoulder and over she went.. I walked away with a sore shoulder and covered in dirt. Only the sunroof and back window were left in the car.

Good golly! I'm glad your still alive! Yow, that picture is worth a billion words.
ultramookie
the guy pulling all the levers

Postby cdssolara » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:37 pm

Chris,

There are some spring/strut/sway bar modifications that you can do to this car that make the handling a whole lot better without compromising too much on the plushness. I, too, thought the Solara was a little too soft when I first bought it, but now have it in a much more fun-to-drive condition. Let me know if you want suggestions.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Chris A » Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:55 am

cdssolara wrote:Chris,

There are some spring/strut/sway bar modifications that you can do to this car that make the handling a whole lot better without compromising too much on the plushness. I, too, thought the Solara was a little too soft when I first bought it, but now have it in a much more fun-to-drive condition. Let me know if you want suggestions.

Will the TRD springs work with the stock struts? I know that most struts can handle about a one inch drop with no problem. I have been trying to find info on lowering this thing a little plus get the better handling..

What kind of a improvement can you get from just the sway bars?

Can a alinment shop get it back in speck with the TRD springs?
Chris A
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cdssolara » Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:19 am

Sway bars are a great bang for the buck. They will keep your car much flatter when cornering. For the $100-$150 that you spend, they give a noticeable improvement.

I wouldn't get the lowering springs without upgrading your struts at the same time. It can be done, but the stock struts won't be matched to the higher spring rate of the TRD (or other aftermarket) springs. You'll probably bounce around a lot more than you did before, although it will be from a lower starting point. Some people do this just to get the lowered look without having to spend the additional money on new struts. I got the impression that you were more concerned about the handling; in which case it will be important to get the strut upgrade. The stock struts will also wear out a lot faster with the lowering springs, so you'll eventually end up having to install new ones, anyway. You can get the TRD struts, made by Bilstein, which are pretty expensive. They will give you a pretty firm ride. I have Tokico struts, which are a good match for the TRD springs (made by Eibach), and are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the Bilstein/TRD strut. I believe you can also get struts from KYB and Koni for this car.

If you drop the car with TRD (Eibach) springs, you will get 1.2" to 1.6" of drop. You won't need a camber adjustment, but you should definitely get an an alignment done immediately.

Hope this helps.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ultramookie » Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:59 am

cdssolara wrote:Sway bars are a great bang for the buck. They will keep your car much flatter when cornering. For the $100-$150 that you spend, they give a noticeable improvement.

How easy/hard is it to install a sway bar?
ultramookie

Postby Chris A » Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:48 pm

ultramookie wrote:
cdssolara wrote:Sway bars are a great bang for the buck. They will keep your car much flatter when cornering. For the $100-$150 that you spend, they give a noticeable improvement.

And where is the best place to get one :)
Chris A
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Swaybar

Postby ultramookie » Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:30 pm

Chris A wrote:
ultramookie wrote:

And where is the best place to get one :)

I found one on ToyotaGuys.com. I've ordered from them before and they are pretty good (fast service). Free shipping too...

http://www.toyotaguys.com/trdswaybarpa.html

$189. Dunno if it's cheaper anywhere else.
ultramookie

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5