[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Automatic Transmission Leak
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Automatic Transmission Leak

Automatic Transmission Leak

Postby PaulR » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 1999 Auto Transmission Solara V6. I thank you for all of your help in the past, and hopefully your help with this issue.

A few weeks ago I changed out my transmission fluid. I overfilled it, drained some out, and it "spit" some out as well when it got to high. I do not think is related to my current issue, but I do believe it should be noted.

I have noticed a small (relatively) puddle of transmission fluid under my car in the morning. I put a paper towel under it, and it leaks 1-2 drops every five minutes or so. The leak looks as if it is coming from the transmission piece right next to the exhaust (flywheel bolts maybe)? I cleaned off the area to confirm and watched it start leaking. I tried to tighten up the bolt, and it moved every so slightly with a lot of pressure. Didn't work. I have attached three pictures and was wondering if someone could me pinpoint the problem and provide suggestions on how to fix it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This picture shows the leak and its relative position to the exhaust:

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you!
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Automatic Transmission Leak

Postby chriscarter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:29 am

First, make sure the leak doesn't start higher up and is running down. If it actually is coming from the area between the engine and trans, the source is probably the front seal where the torque converter engages the transmission itself and drives the front pump. That's a fairly involved and expensive fix since the trans has to be removed to replace that seal. Try some of the "trans stop leak" or "trans seal conditioner" additives available at your auto parts store. Be sure to accurately follow the instructions on the bottle/can when adding. Failing that, you need the front seal replaced.

However...after you use the additive, give it a few days to a week so you can assess the results which won't be immediate or even noticeable in a day or two. This leak may still be from your earlier overfilling that pushed out that seal I mentioned.
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:05 am

chriscarter wrote:First, make sure the leak doesn't start higher up and is running down. If it actually is coming from the area between the engine and trans, the source is probably the front seal where the torque converter engages the transmission itself and drives the front pump. That's a fairly involved and expensive fix since the trans has to be removed to replace that seal. Try some of the "trans stop leak" or "trans seal conditioner" additives available at your auto parts store. Be sure to accurately follow the instructions on the bottle/can when adding. Failing that, you need the front seal replaced.

However...after you use the additive, give it a few days to a week so you can assess the results which won't be immediate or even noticeable in a day or two. This leak may still be from your earlier overfilling that pushed out that seal I mentioned.

Hi Chris,

As is becoming the norm, thanks so much for your help. I am going to buy an additive today at AutoZone and I will give it a week or so (I drive quite a bit to and from work). Also, in the pictures I took, you may be able to see a leaking gasket. Can I replace this gasket, or, if the additive helps the leak somewhat, use gasket sealer on the external part of the metal to seal the leak?
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:32 am

Hi Paul - There is no gasket between the engine and trans. If you're referring to the trans pan gasket (the pan is the black part at the bottom of the trans in your photos), then yes you can and should replace it if it is seeping from there. If you're going to replace that pan gasket, buy a gasket and trans filter kit. The filter is a flat piece inside that pan that attaches with small screws to the underside of the trans. This means you will also have to refill fluid. VERY important...if you are taking off the pan to replace the filter and gasket, do NOT overtighten the bolts holding the pan to the transmission. These bolts are fairly small and they thread into the aluminum case of the trans. The threads will strip in the aluminum if they are overtightened. I use a 1/4" drive ratchet rather than the usual 3/8" drive stuff so I don't overtorque them.

Just be sure that is really is a leak and verify the source. This MAY just be runoff from higher up due to the previous overfilling. Absolutley no reason to do unneccesary work.

Still the remote possibility that the front trans seal is seeping.....just be totally sure before you spend the money to R&R the trans.

PS - No, don't use any sort of gasket sealer externally. If a gasket (anywhere) is leaking, replace it.
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:27 am

chriscarter wrote:Hi Paul - There is no gasket between the engine and trans. If you're referring to the trans pan gasket (the pan is the black part at the bottom of the trans in your photos), then yes you can and should replace it if it is seeping from there. If you're going to replace that pan gasket, buy a gasket and trans filter kit. The filter is a flat piece inside that pan that attaches with small screws to the underside of the trans. This means you will also have to refill fluid. VERY important...if you are taking off the pan to replace the filter and gasket, do NOT overtighten the bolts holding the pan to the transmission. These bolts are fairly small and they thread into the aluminum case of the trans. The threads will strip in the aluminum if they are overtightened. I use a 1/4" drive ratchet rather than the usual 3/8" drive stuff so I don't overtorque them.

Just be sure that is really is a leak and verify the source. This MAY just be runoff from higher up due to the previous overfilling. Absolutley no reason to do unneccesary work.

Still the remote possibility that the front trans seal is seeping.....just be totally sure before you spend the money to R&R the trans.

PS - No, don't use any sort of gasket sealer externally. If a gasket (anywhere) is leaking, replace it.

Hi Chris,

In my first picture, you can see the gasket that I think is leaking. It isn't near the pan. The gasket is wet (as shown in the picture). Can this gasket be removed without removing the trans?

Thanks again for everything.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 am

That's not a gasket if I'm looking at the same thing you are. It's a piece of metal between the engine and trans. Only gasket in that area is the pan gasket.
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:45 pm

chriscarter wrote:That's not a gasket if I'm looking at the same thing you are. It's a piece of metal between the engine and trans. Only gasket in that area is the pan gasket.

Sorry about my explanation of what I think is the gasket. I have reattached the first picture and put a red circle around the area I think is a gasket (and I can move it with my hands like a rubber gasket):

Thanks for all of your help.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:13 pm

No gasket needed there. Don't know what that is.
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:34 am

chriscarter wrote:No gasket needed there. Don't know what that is.

Thanks again for all of your help, Chris.

I added about a 1/3 of a large bottle of Rislone Stop Leak Transmission Fix, and it hasn't done much so far. I didn't add the entire bottle because I have no idea how much fluid is in there. Is there a way I can definitely get the correct fluid level?
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:42 am

No dipstick?
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:48 am

chriscarter wrote:No dipstick?

I have a dipstick but I cannot get an accurate reading whatsoever. My old dipstick was bent, and I got a new one at the dealer, and it's no better. Basically, I get the car hot (such as driving 20 miles home from work), keep it running and in park, and check it. The fluid is most always halfway up the dipstick (not the markings from cold to hot but the actual dipstick). I would think this means it is way to high, but being that I have already siphoned out two quarts, I want to ensure that I am not reading the dipstick incorrectly. I have had two friends look at it, and they can't tell either. Do you think (based on my description) it is to high? I can also take a picture and upload it, but I'm not sure the fluid would be visible.

Thanks!
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 am

Paul - The best way to take care of this ongoing issue is to drain the trans completely and refill with 3.7 qts of proper fluid (verify in owner's manual). You can't keep guessing. I would say that IF the dipstick is correct for your car and it reads over-full, then there is too much fluid in the trans. Be aware that the automatic behind the 6-cyl is different (and has different capacity) than the automatic behind the 4-cyl. Make sure you are reading the correct capacity for your trans.....and that you have the correct dipstick for your trans.
chriscarter

Postby PaulR » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:45 pm

chriscarter wrote:Paul - The best way to take care of this ongoing issue is to drain the trans completely and refill with 3.7 qts of proper fluid (verify in owner's manual). You can't keep guessing. I would say that IF the dipstick is correct for your car and it reads over-full, then there is too much fluid in the trans. Be aware that the automatic behind the 6-cyl is different (and has different capacity) than the automatic behind the 4-cyl. Make sure you are reading the correct capacity for your trans.....and that you have the correct dipstick for your trans.

Hey Chris,

I did as you suggested and removed the drain plug today. I took out around 4.3 quarts. I put back in 3 quarts, so it is theoretically .7 quarts now, but it is still very hard to decipher on the dipstick. I took the car to a wash and used engine cleaner and degreaser to clean the entire undercarriage of the car and transmission area. I have a towel sitting under it now to watch for fluid drips. I'll let you know the result.

Thanks for all of your help.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PaulR » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Update: I checked under the car and it did leak. A very little, but a leak indeed. I don't know if it is residual or not. I added the rest of the Rislone treatment to bring my level (or should be) to the optimum level. Any idea how long it would take for residual fluid, should that be the issue, to subside? I have already washed the engine and undercarriage twice.

Thanks!
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PaulR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Update 2: The car has continued leaking so I finally took it to a respected transmission shop. They have discovered that the seal (I believe it's the pump seal) is bad and causing the leak. They are in the process of rebuilding it. Thanks for all of your help with this, Chris.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5