[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - The best thing you can do to/for your Solara -
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

The best thing you can do to/for your Solara -

The best thing you can do to/for your Solara -

Postby chriscarter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 am

Hello boys and girls - I've been reading and contributing to the posts on this site for a bit over a month. In that time, I have noticed a wide variety of questions and comments, but the main theme is that people on this site are really into their cars. Please don't misunderstand...I enjoy answering questions about car maintenance and repair, gladly sharing whatever I may have picked up over 30 years of wrenching on import vehicles, but...

...I strongly feel that everyone who has a password to this site should buy him/her self a service manual for the car they drive. I understand that not everyone wants to get dirty and rip things apart, but a good working knowledge of your car will help you do a quickie diagnosis when something happens, and will allow you to speak intelligently with a service advisor or mechanic when you take your car to a shop. Looking through a service manual will also eliminate many of the duplicate questions asked in this forum and allow those asking questions to describe their problems more accurately and therefore get better answers from those of us responding.

There are many choices available when it comes to service manuals that are aimed at the owner/driver. For those with very good skills and access to some more sophisticated tools, the official factory Toyota service manuals are about the best you can get, but are on the pricey side. For those who may want to start doing basic maintenance and repair, but may not have deep mechanical background, the Haynes or Chilton's manuals will serve you well. Both are available at reasonable cost from Amazon. I've been at this for quite awhile and I carry a Haynes manual in the trunk of my car so I can refer to certain specs or procedures when needed.

In addition to a service manual, some basic tools will help you also. Start with a set of metric combination wrenches (box on one end, open end on the other), then add a 3/8" drive ratchet, a set of metric 6-point sockets and a couple of 3/8" drive extensions. Of course, you will need straightblade and Phillips screwdrivers. That should get you started. Add more tools as you need them and your ability increases.

I think you will find that the more familiar you are with your car, the more you will enjoy owning and driving it. An added benefit is the opportunity to save yourself some significant money!
chriscarter

Re: The best thing you can do to/for your Solara -

Postby 1gSE » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Good solid advice. When I bought my car, I went straight from the dealership to Checker and picked up a Chilton
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Smaay » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Haynes and Chiltons manuals are worthless! poor pictures, improper torque specs, and many steps skipped. Do it right and get the Toyota BGB (big green book)
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:13 am

I have no problem with the Haynes manuals. They are written for the owner / DIYer. Of course they don't have the detail that the Toyota manual does, but the Toyota manual can be rather intimidating to the non-mechanic. I agree that Chilton's are not as good as Haynes, but I stand by my endorsement of the Haynes manuals for the interested car owner who wants to learn good basics about his/her car.

I have not encountered spec inaccuracies in these manuals. The only thing I have noticed is that some of the Haynes or Chilton's books cover a few different years or models, making it necessary to find the right specs for your particular car......but the info is there.

Oh yea - an addition to the basic tools I mentioned above - a 5/8" spark plug socket.
chriscarter

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5