[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Check engine light on !@!!Help
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Check engine light on !@!!Help

Check engine light on !@!!Help

Postby wizzy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:48 pm

so my engine light came on today i dont what can possibly be the problem car drives good, dont hear anything, but it feels like i lost abit of acceleration, i need to add more gas than i use to for me to get the car going. just seeing if anyone one had this problem .
2000 Toyota Solara SE V6
10k Hid Fog's and Headlights
Black Coners
2010 Camry Bars
Basically stock (For Now)
wizzy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Check engine light on !@!!Help

Postby ThatVietGuy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:02 pm

You do realize these topics are worthless without having had the code read and POSTING IT HERE.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ThatVietGuy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:03 pm

And here's a hint: go to Autozone, have the code read for free, AND THEN COME BACK HERE AND POST IT.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1gSE » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:54 am

i bet its low on vtec fluid
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ThatVietGuy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:20 pm

And I bet it's low on common sense, too.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wizzy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:13 am

comon viet stop being a smart mouth i was just wondering if anyone would know the prob , go make me some pho nigga .
2000 Toyota Solara SE V6
Black Coners
2010 Camry Bars
wizzy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ThatVietGuy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:28 am

So you're stupid AND racist.

I guess those two do go hand-in-hand.

By the way, where's that code, retard?
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wizzy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm

lol na im asian too so i cant be .
2000 Toyota Solara SE V6
Black Coners
2010 Camry Bars
wizzy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wizzy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm

BTW : ilovepho <3
2000 Toyota Solara SE V6
Black Coners
2010 Camry Bars
wizzy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:38 pm

he's not being a smart mouth, he's saying we need to know the code before we can tell you wtf is wrong with the car. My repair manual has 49 codes listed....all of them will make the check engine light come on........so now...get the code read and get back to us. Although I don't see much help coming your way after that response
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chriscarter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Mr/Ms wizzy - No one (not even I [grin]) can answer your question without knowing what code has fired off the CEL. As someone suggested, go to an Autozone store and have them read your OBD-II error codes.

There may be 50 or more specific component failures that will trigger the CEL, which is a general warning that something is in failure mode. These somethings could include sensors, ECUs, and injection/emission control components. An error code is assigned to each of them. The error codes that show up on a code reader indicate which of these parts has triggered the CEL.

I haven't been on this forum for long, but I know that there are quite a few people willing to help total strangers. Drop the attitude, play nice, and do a little homework before asking your questions. We're willing to help, but we're even more willing if the person asking has tried to explain the problem as best as he/she can. With CEL questions, that requires revealing the code that is being thrown off by the onboard diagnostics.

Not to sound too arrogant, but you may want to read my thread "The best thing you can do...".

No harm, no foul this time.....................
chriscarter

Postby wizzy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:31 pm

alright i know the day i post this up i didnt provide enough information , so i got the code its po420 a converter is there a tut on how to install one ?
2000 Toyota Solara SE V6
Black Coners
2010 Camry Bars
wizzy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:31 pm

IF that is the only code given, you should first try to determine why your OBD finds fault with it. The way converters fail on their own is by the honeycomb internal section becoming plugged and restricting exhaust flow. Be aware that bad fuel or an overly rich mixture can help plug a converter.

There are a couple ways to see if your converter is plugged. Run the engine to normal operating temperature. The first is the shadetree mechanic way of getting back by your tailpipe while someone else sits in the car and revs up the engine. Hold your hand about 2 inches behind the open tailpipe and see if there feels like a flow of exhaust at idle. Have your assistant rev the engine to about 3,000 or 4,000 rpm and see if the flow noticeably gets stronger. If not, your system is restricted.

The other way requires the use of a vacuum guage connected to an engine manifold (NOT ported) vacuum source. Again at normal temp, notice the vacuum reading at idle. Open the throttle (give it gas) , then quickly let off to let it snap back to idle . Note this idle vacuum reading also. Repeat this procedure 3 more times, noting the idle vacuum reading each time. After the 4th time, if the idle vacuum reading is at least 1 in/hg less than the original idle reading, you may have a plugged converter.

The only definite way to find a plugged converter is to take it off, hold it up to light, and see if you can look through it. Normally, a converter has a ceramic core with small holes running all the way through it. Many times, if an oxygen sensor fails or goes too long before replacement, it can cause an ongoing rich mixture resulting in premature converter failure (plugging of those small holes).

There are many sources of catalytic converters online. There are also custom-fit (made for your car) and universal fit converters. Either will work. Providing it is the correct dimensions and listed as OK for your car, a universal fit converter may save you some money. Do the right research and take it from there.

It is unlikely that a converter just fails without some other component causing higher emissions and overloading the converter.
chriscarter

Postby wizzy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:57 pm

can i replace the stock ones with obx ?
2000 Toyota Solara SE V6
Black Coners
2010 Camry Bars
wizzy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby chriscarter » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:25 am

I'm not completely familiar with the OBX system, but if it replaces the converter with a straightpipe, you may have problems passing your next emissions test. Also, be aware that your car's ECU is programmed to know that a converter is in the system. The downstream (after the converter) oxygen sensor is calibrated to work within a converter system, so if you remove the converter, the O2 sensor won't be sending accurate signals back to the ECU. This could result in both poor driveability and higher emissions over the long run.

Sure, lotsa people have removed their converters with no ill effects, but with the parts that can be affected being so expensive, I like to leave the converter and install free-flow intake and rear muffler. For what it's worth, I have found that removing or modifying an engine's designed-in emissions equipment will result in longer-term driveability and higher emissions issues. If you do want to remove your converter, modify your injectors, or do something else to bypass your engine's emissions controls,...I would do those modifications that can be easily reversed and returned to stock when needed or wanted.

This does NOT necessarily apply to blower kits and other performance engineering that are specifically designed for your car. Usually, such systems are well engineered as long as they don't completely remove or bypass your emissions components. Increased performance is a balancing act...the relationship between having a faster car, that car's everyday driveability, fuel consumption, increased fun factor, usually more required service, exhaust emissions, and the cost of modifications all need to be considered.

Some people spend a bunch of money and end up with real driveabiltiy issues (bad cold start, lumpy idle, no lower end, etc.) in order to gain maybe a .2 (2 tenths of a second) 0-60 time on their everyday driver! The best performance modification anyone can do is learning how to drive better! Proper shifting technique, knowing the optimum RPM to shift, determining if you gain some time by manually shifting your automatic, using the best tire pressures for performance driving, using lower-friction synthetic lubricants, taking the 50 lbs of junk out of the trunk, and other common-sense tricks can gain you some time without spending much money at all.

Hope I'm not sounding like somebody's conservative uncle, but over the years I have modified many vehicles and engines. Installed one of the first turbos on a water-cooled VW in the early 1980s and my shop was one of the regional diagnostic and referral locations for Callaway Turbosystems for a couple years. The big takeaway here is that modifying for better performance and fun is great..........just don't do something that will cause you more grief than you expected. Think your project through during your planning and "I want it" stages.

So, Mr Wizzy - The short answer to your question is......yes and no! Do tons of research and decide which way you want to go.
Last edited by chriscarter on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
chriscarter

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5