[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Is it my starter? '99 V6 5 speed
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Is it my starter? '99 V6 5 speed

Is it my starter? '99 V6 5 speed

Postby jmt147 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:08 am

This morning the third try was a charm. The first 2 attempts to start to the car I cold hear the starter spin, but the engine did not start? I want to believe this means that the starter is working, but what other parts do I check? I am the original owner, only 116K Thanks for the help!
jmt147
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Is it my starter? '99 V6 5 speed

Postby Down2TheC » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:04 pm

So starter was spinning without the engine turning? Unless that becomes a frequent occurrence, I wouldn't sweat it. Depending on this starter's design, there's probably a clutch that kicks it in with inertia/centrifugal force. It can get sticky with time or just occasionally need a bit extra to catch. See the slidey toothy bit in the vid for a visual of what goes on. Of course that starter has nothing to do with ours I'm guessing. That thing is huge.

For more technically accurate info, try here...
http://www.hallvw.clara.net/starter.htm
toward the bottom is your issue. (pinion or flywheel... a bit better than "slidey toothy bit")
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ACProductions » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Agreed ^^^^^

The starter has a solenoid that pushes the starter gear out to, which when fully extended, interlocks with the ring gear that is on the circumference of the flywheel and presto, you have engine rotation.

This part is often the first part to go on starters of every kind of car. If it does this again, and refuses to grab, have someone crank the starter while you lightly love tap it with a hammer or fat wrench. This is, of course, if you can't replace the starter immediately.
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jmt147 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for the responses. If I understand your analysis I am correct that i should I just replace the starter now and do it at my convenience instead of waiting for a complete failure?
jmt147
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ACProductions » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 pm

jmt147 wrote:Thanks for the responses. If I understand your analysis I am correct that i should I just replace the starter now and do it at my convenience instead of waiting for a complete failure?

Well instead of just throwing money at it, some auto parts stores will actually test your starter out for you so I recommend that get done first since it's usually free.

There are other less likely possibilities, but I always work cheapest to most expensive fix. Free.99 for starter testing? Don't mind if I do
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TheGreenDutch » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:15 pm

change your starter if your battery is good. I just replaced mine not too hard to DIY. A couple youtube vids are up with Camry v6's similar. A starters not gonna last more then 10-12 years on these.
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5