[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - tranny stuck in gear. bad tranny?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

tranny stuck in gear. bad tranny?

tranny stuck in gear. bad tranny?

Postby freshdenamufcka » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:20 am

i cant get my tranny out of gear. it will shift but the car wont move. if i leave it in neutral and release the clutch pedal a little bit the car would drive. not sure what happend this morning because it was fine last night.

anyone ever have this problem and know what it might be? i just got my clutch done few months ago so i dont really wanna have to replace the whole tranny. if worst comes to worst...are there any other trannys would fit the gen 1 solara that are better?
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: tranny stuck in gear. bad tranny?

Postby kenny6683 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 am

not necessarily...my friend had a problem like this and it was something else which works with the clutch

maybe clutch broke...was it cheap?
what brand did you install?
who knows could also be master cylinder
dont get fooled into buying another tranny until you get an honest opinion....this is where mechanics take advantage
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby freshdenamufcka » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:28 pm

the clutch was just replaced in july with an exedy stage 1. however it wasnt installed professionally, had my neighbor do it for couple hundred bucks. it was running fine since then though up until few days ago. been doing some reading on the internet and found it could be a misaligned/broken shift fork or broken pin.

don't really know how a tranny works so its hard for me to diagnose myself. was hoping someone here with more experienced could chime in.

you're right though, if i take it to the shop im sure they will tell me i need to replace the whole tranny which is why im not really rushing to get this done. either way its gonna have to come down and be opened up to see whats wrong with it, could just be a simple fix
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby freshdenamufcka » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:20 pm

alright..i added 2 quarts of gear oil today and played around with the shifter a lil and made some observations:

1.The shifter is able to go in each gear
2. 1st,2nd are rough to get into. 5th and R slides in easily
3. 3rd and 4th will not shift unless i engage the clutch a lil
4. The car ONLY rolls in neutral and 3rd after engaging the clutch
5. while in 3rd and i engage the clutch, the car will start to move but the shifter pops out of gear or tries to when i hold it.

Tried to make that as clear as possible. anyone got any ideas? appreciate your help. thx
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5