[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Pass emissions test
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Pass emissions test

Pass emissions test

Postby thatdamngoodcire777 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 am

I have a P0420 code that I cant seem to get rid of. I changed both o2 sensors (only 2, non CA) and my MAF sensor. I took it to get checked and it looks like the connection between the cat converter and exhaust pipe and the connection between the exhaust pipe and the muffler are rusted to shht. Is there any way to fix these two pieces without paying $90 JUST for the parts from the stealership? I dont know the part name either (flange or something) but I do know there is a gasket between them that I can change. I need to get my car inspected as well and I cant dish out $600 possibly for a whole new exhaust system. Maybe muffler tape or liquid steel? Basically, cheapest way out that will last long term and not interfer with my car passing inspection..
thatdamngoodcire777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Pass emissions test

Postby 1gSE » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:19 am

Sounds like it may be a bad cat. You can either replace the cat itself or replace the entire y-pipe. Any exhaust shop can cut off and weld on new flanges. The mid pipe/muffler flange shouldn't cause any CELs so you can just have that fixed for peace of mind.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby thatdamngoodcire777 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:14 am

I had my cat beneith the car changed too. The mechanic said it might be one of the cat converters before the one beneith the car connected to the y-pipe. Thought I only had 1 cat...or u might be right
thatdamngoodcire777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:07 pm

if you have cats in the manifolds then you have a cali spec car. And all 1mz's have 3 O2 sensors
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby TheGreenDutch » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:00 am

ask around different shops some will pass you for a little $$$. Other than that check the sensor near the ypipe under neath but most likely a Muffler shop could do a less expensive job then a regular service station in regards to the exhaust.
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby thatdamngoodcire777 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:31 am

Ok, I ran Seafoam through the brake booster and some through the engine. There was lots and lots of white smoke that I never had there whenever I did a Seafoam treatment before. CEL went off for a few days too. At least I know I can most likely get my car inspected if I run a can or two of Seafoam through my system. Oh, and I had my cat below the car change a few years ago and its still under warrenty for a full replacement. The mechanic I went to recently that changed it said that cat was running fine. Not sure if hes full of crap and I should get a second opinion. Its only been a YEAR since I had my damn CEL on.
thatdamngoodcire777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TheGreenDutch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:37 am

some inspection places will pass you for a little extra cash....ask around you'd be surprised...Tell em your broke but can afford $100 for the stickers.
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5