[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Solution for burning oil?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Solution for burning oil?

Solution for burning oil?

Postby BuddhaSLE2000 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 am

2000 SLE just got over 200k miles. Since it's a Toyota my dad and I always say it's barely broken in. But a while ago I noticed the engine would start to burn oil if I really pushed it or had a big hill to go up. Is there anything I can do to stop the engine from burning oil?
A friend of my dads said to only use anti-freeze and completely remove all the water and it would run cooler. Does anyone know if this is true?
BuddhaSLE2000
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Solution for burning oil?

Postby TheGreenDutch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Use Toyota pink coolant only and Seafoam that bitch to clean all the deposits out.
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Definitely don't run straight antifreeze! It's corrosive in high concentrations and will end up causing more problems. What cools your engine is the water. All antifreeze does is raise the waters boiling point and lower it's freezing point. I'm not sure but it might also have some sort of lubricant for the water pump.

I've been using normal green coolant for a long time with zero problems. Just dont mix the two. I flushed my entire system when I made the switch. The pink stuff is a scam, from my experience.

+1 for the seafoam, that made a big difference for me.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TheGreenDutch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:27 am

oh yeah maybe you have a leak somewhere. Check around the bottom of the timing belt area for oil and the back of the valve cover to see if you got any drips. Just make sure you check your oil once in a while and you'll be all right.
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby BuddhaSLE2000 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:56 pm

it is definitely not a leak. When im driving fast and really pushing the car then i can smell the oil burning. ive cleaned it before and def no leaks. i think im just going to switch to a different oil
BuddhaSLE2000
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TheGreenDutch » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 am

if its burning oil and the smell is in your exhaust check your coolant and if its muddy looking you might have a bad head gasket. Your using 5w30?
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby asumner89 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Whats the best type of oil to use for the 1999 Solara V6?
1999 V6 SE Solarakid
asumner89
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby minig646 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:58 pm

5w-30, says so right on the oil cap. 10w-30 works fine too though.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5