[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TRD Rear sway bar help- I've tried everything!
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

TRD Rear sway bar help- I've tried everything!

TRD Rear sway bar help- I've tried everything!

Postby minig646 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Hey guys, this TRD rear sway bar has been giving me trouble as long as I've had it. I've had popping and crashing noises from my rear suspension for a long time. I've replaced the bolts holding the RSB in place, the brackets, the end links, I've lubed the hell out of it, and it still pops and crashes when I turn. I think I found a possible cause but I see no way to fix it. The bar is rubbing against some round metal piece that looks like a stopper? I have no clue but I took pictures of where it was rubbing. I'm laying down on my back, drivers side, feet towards the front of the car.

Everything is tight, the car drives fine, and as far as I can tell the RSB is in correctly. I have no idea how I can be the only one with this problem. Can anyone shed some light on this?
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: TRD Rear sway bar help- I've tried everything!

Postby ThatVietGuy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Does the popping happen immediately after you've tighten down bolts? The only time I got popping in the rear was because the nut holding the bar to the endlink was loose.

Other kinds of popping could be from loose strut mounts or something.

And, no, unless the bar is installed really bad or something, it shouldn't be hitting that arm. And if it was, you'd see the damage on either the bar or the arm.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby minig646 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 pm

You can't see it in the pic, but there is a good deal of scratching and minor damage on the bar where it's clearly been rubbing. I took the endlinks and RSB apart and reassembled it all and the popping went away, but I know it will be back. It always comes back.

Could loose strut mounts cause the bar to rub like that? I don't really see how that could be.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 am

Things I've replaced:
~sway bar bushings
~sway bar retainers and bolts
~both struts
~both strut mounts
~both end links

The popping noise is exactly the same. I'm real close to going back to the stock sway bar.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:18 pm

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I SOLVED IT TOO... kinda

i right the sway bar comes in contact with the suspension control arm washers. so what i did was take vinyl tubing and cut it to 3" section and then cut them in half (ONLY ONE SIDE) and place in on the sway bar were it comes in contact with the washers.

problem solved!!!!! if you want i bet garden hose would be better because of the wall thickness. and in the cold the vinyl gets hard and starts clanking just a little bit

HOPE THIS HELPS!
02 5spd Engine scattered, working on a 3MZ S/C set-up
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5