[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - To flush or not to flush!
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

To flush or not to flush!

To flush or not to flush!

Postby reddace » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:02 am

I have a 2000 Solara SE and I want to change the tranny fluid. I would also like to change the trans-axle fluid. It is a four cylinder car. 5S-FE engine 115,000 miles . First, I need to know, should I avoid taking it somewhere to have it flushed? I would also like to have the trans-axle fluid changed while I'm at it. Is this fluid in a separate compartment from the transmission with its own drain plug? Also, how do you get all of the old fluid out? It doesn't make sense contamination of new with residual fluid. Thanks in advance for any replies! Michael
reddace
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: To flush or not to flush!

Postby TheGreenDutch » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:03 am

Avoid Jiffy Lube, Quick Lube places like that because they are usually crap. Use only Toyota brand Trans fluid and if its a independent shop make sure thats what they use. For 80-100 bucks you can get it done right at the stealership.
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ACProductions » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:17 pm

reddace wrote:I have a 2000 Solara SE and I want to change the tranny fluid. I would also like to change the trans-axle fluid. It is a four cylinder car. 5S-FE engine 115,000 miles . First, I need to know, should I avoid taking it somewhere to have it flushed? I would also like to have the trans-axle fluid changed while I'm at it. Is this fluid in a separate compartment from the transmission with its own drain plug? Also, how do you get all of the old fluid out? It doesn't make sense contamination of new with residual fluid. Thanks in advance for any replies! Michael

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION!!!!

You go to a decent shop you know of. Make sure they have an automatic transmission (I'm assuming here) fluid exchanger machine.

Ask for a drain and fill. NO FLUSH.

They basically hook your trans lines up to a machine with new fluid in it. They start the car and little by little the machine swaps out X quarts of trans fluid until the fluid comes out clean.

Be warned though, even just drain and filling can have consequences.

Might I ask why you want to do this?

It's my experience that people don't usually ask for this service unless something is wrong, and brotha, if it's gotten to that point, you might as well kiss that trans goodbye

On the other hand, if it's a manual, then just do it yourself.
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraPete » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:58 pm

^^^^ i agree - drain & fill but dont flush!

The bottom of ur trans pan has little magnets that collect any metal bits that have accumulated over time. Flushing can cause those bits of metal to come loose, whereas a drain and fill just swaps out the fluid. There is some debate on this topic, but thats my $.02....
'99 S/C'd 5spd: 6psi-KYB/Intrax-Kaminari-Renova- 2.5in w/TRD muffler-full Injen CAI w/crisp-mongo filter-Walbro 190-305cc-Jim's fuel-torque rod-8mm Magnecore-EGR delete-ACT 6-puck-AEM wideband-SAFC2-Supra/ES300 F+R brake conversion
SolaraPete
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Bobolara » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Hmmm, have been thinking of flushing mine at a shop recently only because I've been feeling lazy. I think I'll just get of my arse and do it myself, this thread has given me some motivation.
Bobolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ACProductions » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Bobolara wrote:Hmmm, have been thinking of flushing mine at a shop recently only because I've been feeling lazy. I think I'll just get of my arse and do it myself, this thread has given me some motivation.

Assuming you're talking about automatics.

If you do it yourself you won't be able to change all the fluid.

Even if you were to remove the tranny pan and let that fluid drain, there is still at least 5 qts sitting in the torque converter and that doesn't move unless the car is on. Which is why they have fluid swap machines.

I've been a mechanic for close to 5 years now and I can tell you that changing transmission fluid, especially on imports, just isn't that crucial anymore. More often than not, flushing them results in catastrophic failure.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5