[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Front Strut Mounts
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Front Strut Mounts

Front Strut Mounts

Postby nick doll » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:45 am

I am getting the infamous ratteling, clunking sound from the front end when I hit bumps. I am pretty sure it is the strut mounts. Does anyone have a write up on how to replace just the mounts and not the entire strut? I would appreciate it. I have a 1999 Solara SLE.

Thanks,
Nick
nick doll
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Front Strut Mounts

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:46 am

You have to remove the whole strut and spring assembly from the car first. i would recomend taking it somewhere where they have a spring compressor that way they can remove the top bolt on the strut and the strut mounts should come right off. I wouldnt recomend doing this on your because if you remove that bolt the spring could pop off with a lot of pressure and probably kill you if it hits you in the face. Lol. After everything is off replace the strut mounts with new ones and then get the springs compressed again, put everything back on the car and your done sound should be gone.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:55 am

Oh and by the way if u were looking for a tutorial. Heres a quick one. Jack up the car remove both wheels start with either side. You have to remove the whole brake assembly. Calipers, pads, and rotors. On the wheel well theres a small 10mm bolt thats holds up the abs lines remove the bolt and move the abs line out of the way when u have everything out of the way and your looking at just the struts/spring theres two big bolts holding the struts. Those two bolt are 19mm. Once those are out of the way. Move your way under the hood when ur looking at the top of the strut from under the hood theres three nuts holding the strut to the body of the car. Those nuts are 14mm. Once those are coming loose be careful if you remove them all the strut can fall to the floor so make sure someone is there helping you hold the strut while you remove the three nuts.

When the strut is out do the same to the other side and do what i posted in my first post. Then when you put everything on it should be easy.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:35 pm

ToyoSolV6 wrote: spring could pop off with a lot of pressure and probably kill you if it hits you in the face. .

oh snap. headshot!
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby TheGreenDutch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:41 am

Just get the quick strut install kit. They come with the mount, spring and strut assembly all as kit. They sell them on ebay and it makes the job a lot easier plus if your mounts are beat most likely the struts are too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Pair-Comp ... es&vxp=mtr

I run similar ones on the rear and they are fine(1year on). Probably Chinese made but who cares...$149.99

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw ... m270.l1313

Here is a search^
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5