[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Looking to buy 2001 Solara SLR convertible
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Looking to buy 2001 Solara SLR convertible

Looking to buy 2001 Solara SLR convertible

Postby Jersey Woods » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Im thinking of picking up this car tomorrow with 78k miles for $8,000 it is very clean
Is there anything i should look for or look forward to about this car
Think the deal is worth it
Thanks
Jersey Woods
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Looking to buy 2001 Solara SLR convertible

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:32 pm

yeah sounds good... below kbb value. just keep in mind, it is an 11 year old car.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby TLMNICK » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:03 pm

There is no such thing as an SLR.....it's an SLE.

The car is pretty solid all around. I also have an 01 SLE convertible, and so far it's been really good to me. I don't drive mine a lot though. Just make sure the timing belt & waterpump is done, and you should be ok. Also make sure you test out the power top to make sure it's in good condition, and that it opens and closes freely.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:46 pm

the R stands for racing :P
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 99trollaraSLE » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:39 pm

I picked up a '99 SLE, not convertible, about 8 months ago. 113k on the odometer. Paid about 5k for it. Its held up pretty nice so far. Just had to do some upkeep since then. I changed the thermostat (it was stuck open), I replaced my interior door latch cable (snapped 2 months ago), replaced some tires, and cleaned throttle body. Other than that, it runs like a champ. Very quick. Reminds me of Pops' old Lexus. Only thing that bothers me is that there's alot more of that hollow thudding when going over bumpy roads than I hoped for. Maybe my suspension is worn and it needs to be replaced or perhaps its just the way the car is supposed to be. Hard to say as I've never driven a new 1999 solara. One big problem i'm facing is with the A/c. I've got the infamous no A/c when standing still problem. If I were you, I'd take the car for a test drive on an 80 degree + day and see if the A/c continues to blow cold when your stopped at a red light for a while. I'm still trying to figure out what is causing it. I don't have leaks, my fan turns on, and I had CarX run a diagnostic to figure out the issue. They said everything was fine and didn't charge me for the work. I suspect they don't know much about such an issue. I'm quite sure its something minor but I just haven't come across a good post with a logical fix to it.

I'm sure you'll love the car. I'm really happy with mine. It replaced a 2004 kia optima v6 and I have no regrets.
You get what you pay for is a phrase for those intellectually incapable of securing a great bargain
99trollaraSLE
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5