[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Solara sounds like a cicada
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Solara sounds like a cicada

Solara sounds like a cicada

Postby minig646 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Hey guys, for about a year my solara has been sounding like cicadas are living in the body. It's completely speed related, not rpm related. There are no accompanying symptoms. It's pretty much quiet under 15 mph. It sounds just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOnv9ElIjGk

Any ideas?
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Solara sounds like a cicada

Postby TheGreenDutch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 am

lol...brakes rubbing, old belts, wind moving something around etc....any number of things can cause this. One time I had this annoying noise and it turned out the flap that protects the radiator from rocks shield had got torn a bit and when I drove the wind was hitting it making a horrible noise. I just ripped that beach off and everything was cool.
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 am

yeah we're gonna need a video of the car to diagnose this.....
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby minig646 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Short of running along side the car at 40 miles an hour, this is the best I can do. It does something similar on the other rear wheel. I didn't try the fronts.

minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TheGreenDutch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 am

thats some weird s hit man...Maybe your bearings are bad?
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:22 am

I took off the wheel and all the brake hardware and it still rattles. New hub/bearing assemblies are in the mail!
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 pm

A bad bearing wouldnt make that noise it would sound like a loud humm noise. Have u checked the axle? Im not too sure as to what would cause that weird noise.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby minig646 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:15 pm

It does it with no weight on the axle though, and the hub assembly made slight clicking noises even when it was off the car sitting in my lap. It wasn't the same clicking noise (probably because there was no weight on it) but it was a clicking noise nonetheless and didn't sound right. The new ones are smooth as glass but I have yet to install them. Tomorrow...
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:28 pm

I put new hubs on but that didn't help. I think I was mistaken when I said it still made the clicking noise even when the brakes were removed, because I put it all together without the pads and the wheels rotated silently. So what about the pads could be making the clicking noise? My rotors are drilled and slotted, if that matters.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5