[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - solara v6 clutch question
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

solara v6 clutch question

solara v6 clutch question

Postby bronzemaxell » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 am

I've just posted on toyotanation, but i will copy and paste here to see if anyone else experience the same thing

recently i replaced my clutch with new fidanza flywheel, new oem clutch disc and new oem pressure plate, new oem throw out bearing.

after i put it back together, and test drove it for a few miles, it feel lack of some power,
then I separated the transmission from engine to inspect the components again.

i found a little clutch dust, black color, and on both pressure plate surface and the flywheel, there is some light blue mark on the inner 1" of the circle, the outter area of the pressure plate and flywheel has no visual burn or overheat mark

my guess is it seems like the clutch disc is only grabbing 1/3 of the surface area on flywheel and pressure plate, which may explain lack of power, instead of enage the whole clutch surface area.

what could cause this problem? bad install or defective pressure plate/disc or flywheel? could the pressure plate not flat? i didn't visible burn mark on any area of my old pressure plate or flywheel.

when i mated the transmission back to engine, i did use the pilot bearing tool, greased the throw out bearing, didn't use any excessive force, i just push the transmission by hand and it slided nicely back to the engine.

i also did another solara v6 clutch job, same setup, same procesure, and that went smoothly as expected.

any experts seen this happen before?
any suggestion or comment are welcome.
Diamond Pearl White V6 SE 5 Speed Manual Transmission, Pure Black headlight with RS6 Bixenon HID projectors retrofit
bronzemaxell
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: solara v6 clutch question

Postby thenewguy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:51 am

Did you properly break in the clutch (no hard pulls, keep it under 3000 rpm for the first 300 miles, ect)? Or did you just drive it as you normally would have? If you drove it hard at all, there is a very good chance you glazed the friction disc, and it didn't properly mate to the flywheel/pressure plate, nor will it ever. The only solution in that case is that you replace your friction plate and resurface the mating points.

Also, if you installed the friction plate backwards, or misaligned anything, or even did something like forget to replace the pilot bushing, the friction plate could be done.
thenewguy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: solara v6 clutch question

Postby thenewguy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:54 am

Or you can check the free play in the clutch pedal - that is the amount of room you can move the pedal before it starts to disengage the clutch. Google to see how much is tooo much or too little...
thenewguy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5