[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Steering wheel makes a rubbing noise when I turn
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Steering wheel makes a rubbing noise when I turn

Steering wheel makes a rubbing noise when I turn

Postby udonoogen » Thu May 03, 2012 11:07 am

hi all, long time no post! hope all are well.

i still have my 1999 toyota solara SLE. the past couple weeks there has been a low pitched rubbing-like noise every time i turn my steering wheel (whilst driving) - it sounds like someone going "ugggggggggh." i feel some of it in the wheel itself. i just got 180k maintenance done on it (timing belt, water pump, etc.) and i know my mechanic changed out all the fluids.

i did some google searching and read that some camrys need the steering column lubricated/greased. do you think this is the issue? folks have suggested after hearing complaints of a "squeal." i don't think i necessarily have a "squeal" (usually when i think of a squeal i think it's high pitched). is there anything else it could be?

thanks!!! hopefully this isn't costly!!!
1999 V6 SLE, Diamond White Pearl
udonoogen
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Steering wheel makes a rubbing noise when I turn

Postby ComaBlack » Sat May 05, 2012 9:46 am

Hmm, sorry I don't have any advice but my steering wheel has just started to make a noise also. But it's not an, "uggghhh" it's more of a... high pitched creak.
ComaBlack
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Steering wheel makes a rubbing noise when I turn

Postby TheGreenDutch » Mon May 07, 2012 11:35 am

hahaha...its the pathetic waaaaaauuuuuuuhhhhh sound...I know I hated that but its the little rubber thingy under the column you can put a couple drops of oil in there and it goes away. just follow the wheel down under and your see the bushing/rubber thingy that moves when you turn the wheel. I think there might even be another thread with pics on it in this section....
TheGreenDutch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5