[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - V6 radiator fans running when ignition off
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

V6 radiator fans running when ignition off

V6 radiator fans running when ignition off

Postby abd » Sun May 20, 2012 4:49 pm

I've had a few experiences of my radiator fans continuing to run long after ignition is off. The last occurrence seemed permanent and so I disconnected the battery for a couple of days before getting around to examining. I did the cold temperature continuity tests on both coolant temperature sensors which were normal. I did resistance tests for all four relays. Two showed 70 to 110 ohm resistances compared to sub-2 ohms on the other two -- are those values expected? (I forgot to write down which value is for which relay, though....) The shop manual doesn't give an upper limit.

After the resistance test, I manually activated each relay 10-15 times (audible and vibratory confirmation of actuation, but not metered to confirm continuity) and reinstalled and performance is back to normal. Any thoughts on issues with carbon build-up on relay contacts vs. intermittent failure of one of the coolant temp. sensors vs. something else? I've got a small tool kit handy to disconnect the battery if it happens again during my normal short commute driving, but certainly any ideas or feedback are much appreciated.

I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary enjoying the top down as much as possible w/Spring in Hotlanta (and am nearing the point of original top replacement...).

Cheers,
Adam
abd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: V6 radiator fans running when ignition off

Postby corlon » Sun May 20, 2012 9:33 pm

wouldn't think a faulty sensor could keep the fans on with the ignition off. maybe a short or water in the fusebox. i have a similar issue where the cooling fan is on whenever the ignition is on. even on a cold start. temp sensors check out. i want to say it has something to do with the a/c condenser on the passenger side in front of the radiator. i think its a green wire. it is sending a signal all the time, rather then when the a/c is on.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: V6 radiator fans running when ignition off

Postby abd » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:03 am

Thanks, corlon. Happened again this morning, so I'll be digging into it. I have the 2-volume shop manual set but didn't buy the shop electrical manual, so I'm using an '02-'06 Camry Haynes manual that has a 2-page V6 A/C and engine cooling wiring diagram. We'll see how it goes....

Cheers,
Adam
abd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5